RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Which Monitor for Photo Editing 2010

Old 12-07-2010, 07:56 PM

Re: Which Monitor for Photo Editing 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanegoldberg View Post
I've got an Apple 30" and Lacie, they're both good and I work mainly on the Apple monitor. It's clear super easy to calibrate and rarely seems to need it (e.g. when I recalibrate it there is very little shift).

If you have the big bucks to spend then try the Eizo's
The apple 30" was superior to what they have out now. The LED display was a downgrade in terms of professional use. Reviews all over the web can tell you this. The 30" didn't have amazing uniformity, but it was pretty good considering the size of the display. Something to note with Lacie. They don't make their own really. They used to be made by NEC. Their newer models seem to be pva panels with specs similar to samsung displays. They seemed more popular a few years ago. Eizo's nice. They're really popular amongst professional photo labs and stuff here.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2010, 11:22 PM

I would say the Dell U2711. Has very good Adobe RGB gamut, calibrated out of the box, better ratings and reviews than any current Mac Display, full tilt. Though it uses CCFL, its a damn fine piece of equipment. Dell sells for 1199, I got mine on sale for $742 black friday deal @ www.logicbuy.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2010, 12:15 AM

I've heard the Dell is good but I bought one of their laptops years ago and it was complete garbage. It's good to know though if they are actually making something that is quality now!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2010, 10:11 AM

@kav: I received an email back and they are not an authorized NEC reseller.
I've heard the same thing about dell's laptops, pretty much the extended warranty because they crap out so fast. But they do make a decent monitor.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by partimezd55 View Post
@kav: I received an email back and they are not an authorized NEC reseller.
I've heard the same thing about dell's laptops, pretty much the extended warranty because they crap out so fast. But they do make a decent monitor.
Glad I caught this thread and gave you that advice then. There are a lot of these kinds of retailers on the net, and while I'm sure they send something, you have no way of knowing what you're actually buying. Regarding Dell, I'd stick with an sRGB type. Their wide gamut displays have had some issues. Wide gamut displays in general have a number of issues, but they are mitigated to the point of being usable on higher end models with some reasonable means of calibration. Dells aren't measured as rigorously (looser standard and measured at one spot in the middle before being stamped ok). I wouldn't expect much out of one in terms of long term performance. They also seem to lack the ability to dial down the brightness effectively much like the apple versions. I'd say given the price of dell relative to NEC, you'd probably be better off with NEC. My experience with NEC is that their long term performance falls off past a couple years of heavy use too, but they do have better features for correcting uniformity and managing greyscale tracking than a Dell. I know there are some nec users on the forums. Some of them might've had some experience with the newer models. Mine ends with the 90s series.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2010, 12:16 PM

Do you have any experience with an NEC:ASLCD24WMCX-BK-R?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by partimezd55 View Post
Do you have any experience with an NEC:ASLCD24WMCX-BK-R?
Their lower end models kind of suck for color correction. A big factor is uniformity which is something that NEC and other higher end brands use extra technology to correct. The lower end models lack things like colorcomp and DDC calibration. It really comes down to how picky you are. I find it hard to work on displays that won't dim far enough, are too high in contrast, or skip tones.

If you are going to try an inexpensive one, read several reviews, view one locally if possible, and search for the best price from a known retailer. Also check on return policies especially if you're ordering from a remote retailer. If you receive one with poor uniformity from a model that was reviewed well, reject it. If uniformity is bad straight out of the box, you don't want to see it in a year. This is the reality of mass production (I mean regarding QC).
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2010, 04:57 PM

Hi, everyone. I'm new here.
I'm considering buying the NEC EA231WMi-BK. Anyone have any thoughts about this monitor? I know it's not the best, but I'm wondering whether it's a quality 23-inch panel for those with a budget under $500 US. I'm a beginning photographer and am interested in upgrading from the Samsung 19-inch syncmaster 906bw.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2010, 05:32 PM

Get the Dell U2411. You will be very happy...
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2010, 02:02 AM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist

I personally use this NEC MultiSync display
http://www.necdisplay.com/Products/P...e-14309a636738

I can attest to the quality of the NEC - what a great product! The wide gamut coverage is superb.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware