RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Which Monitor for Photo Editing 2010

Old 01-10-2010, 05:35 AM

Which Monitor for Photo Editing 2010

I've looked a several monitors from 600.00-1200.00.

Here's what I've come up with:
NEC 2690WU2-BK-SV about 1200.00 shipping included H-IPS
NEC 2490 about 1100.00 shipping included H-IPS
HP LP2475w about 570.0 shipping included H-IPS
Dell 2408 about 472.00 shipping included S-PVA
Samsung 245T 694.00 shipping included S-PVA

H-IPS is supposed to be better for photo editing than S-PVA however some of the finest monitors (Eizo) use S-PVA. I'm not even considering TN panels.

Any ideas or suggestions? I appreciate your help.

Regards,

Richard
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2010, 08:22 AM

Re: Which Monitor for Photo Editing 2010

Check:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=39226
http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/reviews.html
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews.htm
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/reviews.php
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2010, 12:21 AM

the best monitor i've seen anywhere, ever, is this one from Apple. yup, apple. it's unbelievably clear, crisp, vibrant, and all those other superlatives. AND, when you move it up and down or side to side, none of that disappearing image you get with lcd screens. this is a true LED screen and quite frankly, i havent seen anything to beat it yet. the other boys definitely have some catching up to do.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB...co=MTA4MzU1MzE
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2010, 03:41 AM

Question Re: Which Monitor for Photo Editing 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin View Post
the best monitor i've seen anywhere, ever, is this one from Apple. yup, apple. it's unbelievably clear, crisp, vibrant, and all those other superlatives. AND, when you move it up and down or side to side, none of that disappearing image you get with lcd screens. this is a true LED screen and quite frankly, i havent seen anything to beat it yet. the other boys definitely have some catching up to do.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB...co=MTA4MzU1MzE
Hi Kraellin,

I have heard that the led one doesn't have a very wide gammut like the LCD one from apple too. I had compared both monitors connected to the same macpro and could see that the Led one has a variation in colors, not in density. Any comment about this? I'm thinking about buying a led, but don't know.

Mart
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2010, 06:40 AM

I have Apple Cinema Display 30" and i am very happy with it, i hear many places that it is not the best, and there are many better monitor over that Apple one, so i bought also Eizo ColorEdge CG222W and it is also a great monitor, i dunno why but i love that Apple over the Eizo due to the monitor size not the quality, because both are doing a great job for photo editing, and still i don't have that kind of work where i want the maximum accurate workflow.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tareq View Post
both are doing a great job for photo editing, and still i don't have that kind of work where i want the maximum accurate workflow.
That's wisdom.

Also, the quality of Eizos are not visible because they surpass our perception. It's like trying to see the gamma rays or UVs with our limited eyes. Eizos are beyond our physical capacity. Which is good of the Eizos is the gray scale feature.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2010, 11:03 AM

I like the Apple monitors.

But even when a monitor can display information with amazing accuracy, our eyes have a hard time distinguishing between black and almost black or white and almost white. So even with a terrific monitor you need to use adjustment curves over the top to exaggerate the differences so you can actually see what you're working on.

Our eyes just aren't as sensitive to minor changes in color and tonal levels on screen (which isn't the problem of the monitor, but of our physiology). But using adjustment curves allows us to easily see differences that would normally be invisible to us.

Hope you are doing well. Take care. Alan.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2010, 01:18 PM

kraelin, does that apple 24" have a glossy screen?!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2010, 09:59 PM
Patron

Just an opinon, but unless you plan on your work to go straight to the printer for professional work, a high gamut display may not be what you want. What you may see that looks fantastic on a high gamut display may indeed look like cr@p to everybody else, so if you plan on sharing your work to the public like us, (and not everybody here has a high gamut display) then a simple IPS like display would more then suffice. I was lucky and got a Dell 2209wa for a pretty good price this past summer. Not sure about the current cost for it, but I was told that it's still best bang for the buck display for a 22 inch monitor.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2010, 11:44 PM

KR1156,

uhm, i dont know if you mean something technical there when you say 'glossy screen'. didnt look very glossy to me, but then i really dont know what's considered 'glossy' in a monitor. i just liked the bloody look of the thing

Quote:
I have heard that the led one doesn't have a very wide gammut like the LCD one from apple too.
well, i dont know about the gamut on it. i didnt check. all i know is, that was one VERY impressive monitor. i go almost strictly by what my eye sees (gamut being a secondary consideration to me) and my eyes were impressed! is it the best monitor in the world? i've no idea. i've never owned some of those more expensive ones, but it was the best visual display on a screen i've ever seen and that tilt with no particular loss of image was quite amazing. so, even if you own something with more gamut or more pixels or more anything, that no loss at the edges when tilted to ANYONE doing computer graphics of any kind has got to be a plus and a big consideration! and if i had a spare $900 right now... i wouldnt have that $900 right now. it would be in that monitor
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware