RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

DVI vs VGA

Old 01-23-2010, 08:48 AM

DVI vs VGA

Hi people, I gifted a VGA LCD screen/monitor to my gf, but it shows too much noise. I'm willing to change it for a DVI screen/monitor. Will the DVI be noiseless?

She also do image retouching and video.

Thanks,

Mart
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2010, 12:16 AM

Re: DVI vs VGA

there actually shldnt be any noise on either. i'm curious what you're seeing. maybe a screenshot?

most monitors sold these days can take either plug, dvi or vga. you may also want to see if it has an hdmi (high def media interface)so, check yours to see. if it truly is 'noisy' and it truly is the monitor and not the vid card or drivers or something else, i'd take it back and look very closely at getting another. one thing i've taken to doing lately is, open your purchase in the store (if it was a store and not online) and plug it into a computer if you can. i've not had many items i've had to take back but this saves a trip if your item is messed up.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2010, 04:58 AM

Hi Kraellin,

I had plugged it to my Mac Pro and surprisingly, colors and density looks much better and close to the cinema apple display! (Macs are really incredible!). But the noise still in the screen. It's like a very little noise, the same found in high ISO but this noise is in movement, like when you put the TV in a channel without signal, with white noise on the screen.

The monitor is damn cheap, $250usd and only has a VGA plug, and I have seen this noisy things in other monitors around the shops from my country. The model of the monitor is a FLATRON W2243S by LG. We don't have here other opportunities, such as Dell or better monitors in the same brand, we have here the worst cheaper goods and cannot buy nothing from America due political regulations and stuff like that. I'm lucky that we have here a MacStore or I would be dead.

Thanks for the reply, Kraellin!

Mart
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2010, 09:43 PM

I would agree with Craig, noise is not inherent to VGA monitors except when you exceed the recommended distance for the cable (which is 15 ft/ 5 meters). After that, you should used a double-shielded low capacitance cable. Since the noise shows up on your Mac as well, it likely is not graphic card or driver related. So, it sounds like you have a defective monitor.

To answer your other question... will DVI be noiseless? DVI is not noiseless, no more so than VGA. In fact, the cables are more sensitive to interference than VGA. However, if you go swap out your present monitor for a DVI, you will think it's better simply due to the fact the first monitor is probably bad.

You may find you have more confidence in a DVI monitor, to render images with more realistic color, etc. Technically, the DVI should present a better image since the number of conversions from digital-to-analog (and visa-versa) is reduced. Not all manufacturers have redesigned their internals to fully exploit this advantage. However, almost all the higher end and major players have. So, a fully digital monitor should provide a little better image due to less rounding errors in the data path.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
We don't have here other opportunities, such as Dell or better monitors in the same brand, we have here the worst cheaper goods and cannot buy nothing from America due political regulations and stuff like that.
well, that sucks.

as for the noise thing, i dont know. never had that problem. sounds like a slight signal interference from somewhere, like a bad ground or an inductance overflow or something along those lines where the signal is exposed to a current that is slightly off or wrong in some way. again, if you've got a screenshot, that might help, but i'd also try to test that same monitor on a different computer and see if the same thing happens.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2010, 08:47 AM

Make sure to use the monitor native resolution and set the right sharpness
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/sharpness.php
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2010, 04:13 AM

i prefer VGA.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2010, 12:35 AM

Try a different monitor cable, maybe the shielding is defective.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware