RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Intuos4 nibs running out quickly

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 02-09-2010, 01:25 PM
Flashtones Flashtones is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 956
Re: Intuos4 nibs running out quickly

I like the idea of being able to extract the nib incrementally as it wears.

Prior to the Intuos 4 I had an Intuos 1. The 1 had a very slick plastic surface. The 4 is much rougher, so as to give the feel of drawing on paper. If one prefers the smooth feel of the 1 it is possible to tape a piece smooth plastic over the surface (like one can get as a file sleeve at most office supply stores for a couple of dollars).

The thing is, that feeling of drag is part of the feature set that makes the 4 different. People requested a more life-like feel. Now that they have it they want to petition against it?

If you don't like it you could a) tape something over it or b) buy a less expensive tablet.
Reply With Quote top
  #12  
Old 02-09-2010, 02:13 PM
Quantum3 Quantum3 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 911
Re: Intuos4 nibs running out quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashtones View Post
I like the idea of being able to extract the nib incrementally as it wears.

Prior to the Intuos 4 I had an Intuos 1. The 1 had a very slick plastic surface. The 4 is much rougher, so as to give the feel of drawing on paper. If one prefers the smooth feel of the 1 it is possible to tape a piece smooth plastic over the surface (like one can get as a file sleeve at most office supply stores for a couple of dollars).

The thing is, that feeling of drag is part of the feature set that makes the 4 different. People requested a more life-like feel. Now that they have it they want to petition against it?

If you don't like it you could a) tape something over it or b) buy a less expensive tablet.
Bro, could you write the names of the stuff you suggest?
Reply With Quote top
  #13  
Old 02-09-2010, 11:32 PM
Flashtones Flashtones is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 956
Re: Intuos4 nibs running out quickly

Mart, the plastic or a less expensive tablet?
Reply With Quote top
  #14  
Old 02-10-2010, 05:38 AM
Quantum3 Quantum3 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 911
Re: Intuos4 nibs running out quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashtones View Post
Mart, the plastic or a less expensive tablet?
The plastic.
Reply With Quote top
  #15  
Old 02-10-2010, 10:55 AM
Flashtones Flashtones is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 956
Re: Intuos4 nibs running out quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum3 View Post
The plastic.

These kinds of things:

http://www.jampaper.com/Envelopes/PlasticEnvelopes

Just cut to size with a straight edge and razor then tape over the Wacom surface. One strip of tape across the top works well enough and black "electrical tape" is plasticy and looks good enough on the black Intuos 4.

This little plastic flap is great if you ever need to trace something. Just slip it under the plastic and draw on top.

Anyway, this plastic will be very slick, very different than the drag of the Intuos 4, but give it some time to get used to it.
Reply With Quote top
  #16  
Old 02-10-2010, 12:07 PM
Flashtones Flashtones is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 956
Re: Intuos4 nibs running out quickly

Looking at that website, I suppose some of those plastics might be softer than others. You want one that is stiff, more like a card stock than a baggie. You want your stylus to slide across the surface not indent or drag on it.

Some might have design textures too and you don't want that.
Reply With Quote top
  #17  
Old 02-10-2010, 12:14 PM
Quantum3 Quantum3 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 911
Re: Intuos4 nibs running out quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashtones View Post
Looking at that website, I suppose some of those plastics might be softer than others. You want one that is stiff, more like a card stock than a baggie. You want your stylus to slide across the surface not indent or drag on it.

Some might have design textures too and you don't want that.
Yes, I saw the site. I guess I'm getting the idea of those plastic surfaces. Hope to get something similar to that around here because never seen those models... It's a pain here finding whatever thing!
Reply With Quote top
  #18  
Old 02-10-2010, 12:33 PM
Flashtones Flashtones is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 956
Re: Intuos4 nibs running out quickly

Mart, I don't know how hard you press your stylus but until you find better you could try using something like a glossy postcard or paperback book cover. Or sometimes cheap picture frames include a sheet of plastic instead of glass. You could even try glass or acrylic (perspex, plexiglass, etc) though they might be too thick.
Reply With Quote top
  #19  
Old 02-12-2010, 06:34 AM
pggphoto pggphoto is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: London
Posts: 12
Re: Intuos4 nibs running out quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashtones View Post
I like the idea of being able to extract the nib incrementally as it wears.

Prior to the Intuos 4 I had an Intuos 1. The 1 had a very slick plastic surface. The 4 is much rougher, so as to give the feel of drawing on paper. If one prefers the smooth feel of the 1 it is possible to tape a piece smooth plastic over the surface (like one can get as a file sleeve at most office supply stores for a couple of dollars).

The thing is, that feeling of drag is part of the feature set that makes the 4 different. People requested a more life-like feel. Now that they have it they want to petition against it?

If you don't like it you could a) tape something over it or b) buy a less expensive tablet.

It isn't petitioning against the feel of the surface is it. It's the rate at which the nib runs out. Nobody has complained about the 'life-like feel' have they.

Wacom have said they can't find a material that is harder wearing and will be less effected by the rough surface, sounds like rubbish to me.

Do you work for Wacom?

And no I'm not sticking stuff to my tablet to get it working how it should do I want it to work straight out of the box. Otherwise I'd make my own tablet wouldn't I.
Reply With Quote top
  #20  
Old 02-12-2010, 06:43 AM
pggphoto pggphoto is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: London
Posts: 12
Re: Intuos4 nibs running out quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashtones View Post
Mart, I don't know how hard you press your stylus but until you find better you could try using something like a glossy postcard or paperback book cover. Or sometimes cheap picture frames include a sheet of plastic instead of glass. You could even try glass or acrylic (perspex, plexiglass, etc) though they might be too thick.

And its got nothing to do with how hard you press the stylus, I tested my photographer friends Intuos3 yesterday to be sure my hands hadn't all of a sudden become very heavy and do you know what, after a day of pressing as hard as I liked the nib had no wear at all. Remarkable. The stock of this old style plastic must have run out which is why Wacom haven't been able to find any tougher plastic for the new nib. Alternatively they can see how much money they can make out of selling tiny pieces of plastic to gullable people that regugitate what they've said as advice to other people.
At the end of the day I asked the photographer how long he'd had that nib in his pen and he said he's never changed it. He's had the tablet for at least 3 years and the nib had absolutely no wear at all.
Reply With Quote top
Reply

  RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tablets: nibs THE ID ROOM Hardware 3 05-21-2009 03:18 PM
Wacom intuos4 active area size ilegales Hardware 1 04-01-2009 02:23 PM
quickly unrestoring an image online... winu Photo Restoration 0 12-29-2008 03:07 PM
CIS is up and running, it's great! Marni48 Input/Output/Workflow 0 12-18-2008 10:32 PM
Running dual monitors albatrosss Hardware 14 08-03-2008 06:17 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2016 Doug Nelson. All Rights Reserved