RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Intuos4 nibs running out quickly

Old 02-09-2010, 01:25 PM

Re: Intuos4 nibs running out quickly

I like the idea of being able to extract the nib incrementally as it wears.

Prior to the Intuos 4 I had an Intuos 1. The 1 had a very slick plastic surface. The 4 is much rougher, so as to give the feel of drawing on paper. If one prefers the smooth feel of the 1 it is possible to tape a piece smooth plastic over the surface (like one can get as a file sleeve at most office supply stores for a couple of dollars).

The thing is, that feeling of drag is part of the feature set that makes the 4 different. People requested a more life-like feel. Now that they have it they want to petition against it?

If you don't like it you could a) tape something over it or b) buy a less expensive tablet.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashtones View Post

Prior to the Intuos 4 I had an Intuos 1. The 1 had a very slick plastic surface. The 4 is much rougher, so as to give the feel of drawing on paper. If one prefers the smooth feel of the 1 it is possible to tape a piece smooth plastic over the surface (like one can get as a file sleeve at most office supply stores for a couple of dollars).

The thing is, that feeling of drag is part of the feature set that makes the 4 different. People requested a more life-like feel. Now that they have it they want to petition against it?

If you don't like it you could a) tape something over it or b) buy a less expensive tablet.
Bro, could you write the names of the stuff you suggest?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2010, 11:32 PM

Mart, the plastic or a less expensive tablet?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2010, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Mart, the plastic or a less expensive tablet?
The plastic.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum3 View Post
The plastic.

These kinds of things:

http://www.jampaper.com/Envelopes/PlasticEnvelopes

Just cut to size with a straight edge and razor then tape over the Wacom surface. One strip of tape across the top works well enough and black "electrical tape" is plasticy and looks good enough on the black Intuos 4.

This little plastic flap is great if you ever need to trace something. Just slip it under the plastic and draw on top.

Anyway, this plastic will be very slick, very different than the drag of the Intuos 4, but give it some time to get used to it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2010, 12:07 PM

Looking at that website, I suppose some of those plastics might be softer than others. You want one that is stiff, more like a card stock than a baggie. You want your stylus to slide across the surface not indent or drag on it.

Some might have design textures too and you don't want that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Looking at that website, I suppose some of those plastics might be softer than others. You want one that is stiff, more like a card stock than a baggie. You want your stylus to slide across the surface not indent or drag on it.

Some might have design textures too and you don't want that.
Yes, I saw the site. I guess I'm getting the idea of those plastic surfaces. Hope to get something similar to that around here because never seen those models... It's a pain here finding whatever thing!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2010, 12:33 PM

Mart, I don't know how hard you press your stylus but until you find better you could try using something like a glossy postcard or paperback book cover. Or sometimes cheap picture frames include a sheet of plastic instead of glass. You could even try glass or acrylic (perspex, plexiglass, etc) though they might be too thick.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2010, 06:34 AM

Quote:

It isn't petitioning against the feel of the surface is it. It's the rate at which the nib runs out. Nobody has complained about the 'life-like feel' have they.

Wacom have said they can't find a material that is harder wearing and will be less effected by the rough surface, sounds like rubbish to me.

Do you work for Wacom?

And no I'm not sticking stuff to my tablet to get it working how it should do I want it to work straight out of the box. Otherwise I'd make my own tablet wouldn't I.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2010, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Mart, I don't know how hard you press your stylus but until you find better you could try using something like a glossy postcard or paperback book cover. Or sometimes cheap picture frames include a sheet of plastic instead of glass. You could even try glass or acrylic (perspex, plexiglass, etc) though they might be too thick.

And its got nothing to do with how hard you press the stylus, I tested my photographer friends Intuos3 yesterday to be sure my hands hadn't all of a sudden become very heavy and do you know what, after a day of pressing as hard as I liked the nib had no wear at all. Remarkable. The stock of this old style plastic must have run out which is why Wacom haven't been able to find any tougher plastic for the new nib. Alternatively they can see how much money they can make out of selling tiny pieces of plastic to gullable people that regugitate what they've said as advice to other people.
At the end of the day I asked the photographer how long he'd had that nib in his pen and he said he's never changed it. He's had the tablet for at least 3 years and the nib had absolutely no wear at all.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware