Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Intuos4 nibs running out quickly

Old 02-12-2010, 08:10 AM
Re: Intuos4 nibs running out quickly

Originally Posted by pggphoto View Post
It isn't petitioning against the feel of the surface is it. It's the rate at which the nib runs out. Nobody has complained about the 'life-like feel' have they.
Have you considered that the feel of the surface and the wear rate of the stylus might be ralated? Try running your hand over glass, then sandpaper, and tell me which wears your skin off faster.

Do you work for Wacom?
Are you trying to be annoying?

And its got nothing to do with how hard you press the stylus,
That wasn't my point, my point was that Quantum could use something as common as a glossy postcard until he finds a plastic solution if he's not a hard presser.

He's had the tablet for at least 3 years and the nib had absolutely no wear at all.
Such was the case with my Intuos 1, which has the kind of plastic overlay that I've suggested to you and you declined.

The point to you, sir, is that you have other options, such as an earlier model Intuos, or a plastic overlay.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2010, 05:06 PM

try a graphire 4 wear like iron and has a clear plastic cover that you can use over a photo or drawing
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2011, 07:02 AM

I was thinking about buying an Intuos4 and this discussion has convinced me to drop the idea.
I find particularly silly the suggestion of pressing less hard on the nib. How hard one presses on a nib is an integral part of how you as a person use pencils/brushes/pens, and basically reflects who you are. I gave up on watercolors for the same reason.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2011, 01:01 PM

What they need,is to have a roller ball end to the nib. That way,you still 'feel' the surface under it but the end never gets any friction and so cant wear down.
They can make tiny roller ball ends to fit in Biro type pens so I don't see why they cant have them for tablet pens.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2011, 06:44 AM

Not saying you should do this as I cant guarantee it would work for your pens but....
Just did a little experiment with my intuos pen.
Mine is just plain intuos (not 4) and was given to us for free.
Our older tablet has the same nibs in it's pens(graphire II I think) and I have swapped them over no problem.
I bought a pack of cheap hair combs today. They were 80 pence for 5 combs but I only wanted the large sized comb because the teeth are the same width and little bit longer than a new tablet pen nib.
I cut the 1st tooth out of the comb,sanded the end smooth and fitted it in my pen.
It works perfectly LOL. I dont know how long it would last but there are 27 teeth of the right size in the comb so that is a good long time not to have to buy new nibs.
You cant use thinner sized teeth as the switch at the other end(inside the pen) registers as pressed if the plastic is too thin.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware