RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Intuos4 nibs running out quickly

Old 02-07-2010, 05:01 PM

Intuos4 nibs running out quickly

If anybody has noticed this issue with the new Intuos4 tablet there is a petition on the Wacom forum to try and get it sorted out without costing people that have already spent alot of money on a 'top of the range' product. Most people on the forum have noted their nibs running out daily. I'm sure you can imagine the cost if you're a professional retoucher or graphic designer.

We need as much support as possible so please sign it if you have the same problem.

http://forum.wacom.eu/viewtopic.php?...85e3&start=290
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2010, 06:30 AM

Re: Intuos4 nibs running out quickly

Figured that, but I set the pressure to be very sensible, so I don't need to apply too much pressure.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2010, 07:32 AM

So have I but what's the point of having adjustable pressure sensitivity if you can only have it on really sensitive?

Wacom have told us to tape a piece of photocopy paper over the tablet to reduce the wear. I don't think that's acceptable.

Last edited by pggphoto; 02-08-2010 at 07:42 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2010, 07:37 AM

It's not aceptable. However, I found better not using so much pressure for the editing. I just use the pressure when I do masks, in order to enlarge or reduce the brush size, but not so much pressure.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2010, 07:51 AM

It just annoys me that they're accepting there is a problem with the intuos4 but they don't want to fix it. They've obviously sold too many that it would cost alot of money for them to replace everybodys nibs and cover sheets.

According to the representative on their site they've done extensive testing using it to browse the internet and for testing drivers, no mention of any graphic or retouching use. They went suprisingly quiet when questioned about this
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2010, 07:55 AM

I think with a harder nib is enough to solve the problem. Don't you know if the nib can be pulled out of the pen in increments as long a it gets erosed?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2010, 08:06 AM

Yeah I can see that there is ways the problem can be reduced but why should we have to make these sort of allowances? We all know how good the intuos3 was so I don't think we should except having to reduce sensitivity, stick paper on the drawing surface or mess about with the nib. I paid alot of money for a product so don't feel I should have to modify it to get it working properly.

It wears the nibs down to a sharp point very quickly so not only does it feel uncomfortable to use but it scratches the surface of the tablet.

I know also that they will wear out eventually, I don't mind replacing them its just the frequency at which I'm having to do this. And in the UK £10 (nearly $20US I believe) for a pack of 5 tiny pieces of plastic that will need replacing within weeks seem heavily over priced
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2010, 09:08 AM

I bought an Intuous a month ago or more, it ¡s my first tablet, so I don't really know about the bamboo. I use the tablet every single day to do my retouching work, and still using the same nib because the way I set the pressure, but definitely, these things shouldn't happen, mostly because the well known brand that issues these tablets. We trust on the brand's name quality, and here we're.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2010, 10:32 AM

Yeah, thats actually one of design flaws of all wacom pens. You only use the tip of the pen. It would be great if one could adjust the nib in and out as it wears out like with a mechanical pencil.

Anyway, i signed the request.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexmanta View Post
Yeah, thats actually one of design flaws of all wacom pens. You only use the tip of the pen. It would be great if one could adjust the nib in and out as it wears out like with a mechanical pencil.

Anyway, i signed the request.
That's a big flaw, because the nib is quite large but when engaged to the pen, is gets a lot more short!

Will sign that thing too.

Last edited by Quantum3; 02-08-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware