RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Best point and shoot

Old 02-24-2010, 11:37 PM

Best point and shoot

I'm looking to buy a camera to lug around when traveling with my girlfriend. I already have a DSLR but I find it tiring to carry around, so usually I leave it at home.

I'm looking at the Canon G9 and the Panasonic LX3.

Seen some good reviews on both but I was wondering if anyone else had an opinion.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2010, 10:40 AM

Re: Best point and shoot

Panasonic LX3 gets super reviews; it's on my short list too. But note fairly short zoom. According to info I've read it's not ideal for "semi far away" shots; very good for close-ups and wide angle. Suitability depends on the nature of pix you'll be taking.

I'm a DSLR shooter, too. One thing that took some "re-getting used to" for me: Delay between press of he shutter release button press until actual shot taken. Because of this delay one can miss a lot of action shots (or facial expressions) with a P/S that a DSLR will capture.

More "noise" than DSLR can be an issue, too = more post production cleanup using Noise Ninja, Topaz DeNoise or your plugin of choice.

FYI: I got a Fuji F100 (about $200 less than LX3 at the time; couldn't justify LX3). Fuji is O.K., not great. I know its limitations and can usually get around them.

Good luck on your hunt.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2010, 11:12 AM

Danny, sadly I understand all the things I will be missing out by not using my DSLR, the thing is I'd like a 24/7 camera and carrying my Canon XSi with two lenses around is just too cumbersome.

I'm thinking of using this to capture those special moments at non-special events. My main concern is low-light conditions and the compactness.

I was going to get the Canon G9 but I've heard it sucks in low light and its pretty big for a compact camera so now I'm looking at the LX3 and the Olympus EP-1.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2010, 11:16 AM
Patron

Well I use a Canon PowerShot SX200. It has a nice 12x zoom which I use a lot and image stabilization. It takes excellent HDV movies too. 12 megapixels gives one plenty of cropping leeway. Macro is good and fun to use. What it also does is that it easily blows out the Highlights so if I am shooting an egret or some white object in bright sunlight I need to underexpose it by 2 stops. That is easy to do. At times it has a hard time focusing on objects that are fairly close. Like if you are focusing a flower blossom at times it might focus on the ground.

Enclosed is a photo I took two days ago with the camera of this egret from about 75 feet away in the bright sunlight. I set the camera at minus two stops.

Its a nice compact camera and I recommend it. Its quality is not as good as a SLR but its sure a nice size
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GreatWhite1.jpg (194.9 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by philbach; 02-25-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2010, 05:39 AM

I would go for the Canon, specially because itis able to shot in RAW!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2010, 05:49 AM
Patron

My Camera Canon PowerShot SX200 that I was referring to does not shoot in Raw.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2010, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbach View Post
My Camera Canon PowerShot SX200 that I was referring to does not shoot in Raw.
"I'm looking at the Canon G9 and the Panasonic LX3". The Canon shots in RAW.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2010, 11:04 AM

The Panasonic LX3 does shoot raw. And Quantum3 your online portfolio is sick. Do your pictures all come out like that? or do you do a lot of skillfull post processing?

Also, where do you go to find models to shoot?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvbear View Post
The Panasonic LX3 does shoot raw. And Quantum3 your online portfolio is sick. Do your pictures all come out like that? or do you do a lot of skillfull post processing?

Also, where do you go to find models to shoot?
Lol... seems compact cameras are getting the lead of RAW... Don't know the panasonic one, but I f¡guess is compact. I would chosee the most manual-like among those 2 types of cameras, definitely.

Thanks for the comment about my port, shame I cannot show bigger pics there... It's all about post with the pics.

Mart
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2010, 08:16 PM

I have Panasonic Lumix FZ30. Can't say I am entirely happy with the camera. The problem (which to the best of my knowledge is common to all Panasonic cameras) is that at higher ISO settings it generates quite a lot of noise. Pretty much any picture is noisy unless it is taken in a broad daylight and full sunshine.
Best place to check would be DPReviews. They have very detailed reviews for practically any model currently on the market.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware