Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Samsung?Lacie? What can 900 dollars or less buy?

Old 03-18-2010, 09:02 AM
Re: Samsung?Lacie? What can 900 dollars or less bu

Obrigadon, one less expense.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2010, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Thanks guys, I will be checking each of your inputs. It is indeed confusing. I have also been checking on a NEC MultiSync PA241W and incredibly enough after checking with their live chat I found out they did not have it in stock nor sold it on their online store. In fact a lot of reputable online merchants are back ordered and the not so reputable ones of course have it in stock.

From what I'm hearing from digital dog and others, this is the monitor to get!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2010, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
your input is very helpful and appreciated. You saw both the 324 and 526 and I read the spec for both and thought the size difference was quite small. what made you choose the 526? wast it the included colorimeter?. It puzzles me that Lacie has this bundle with hood and software only; what can be done with software only and no colorimeter?
It was combination of the monitor size, and the price, along with specs. At the time the price difference wasn't very different. and just for about 200-300 dollars more I was getting a better monitor, a hood, software and a calibrator. I was going to have to purchase one anyway so it made sense to get the whole package. I also figured if I was gonna spend this kind of money I wasn't gonna nickel and dime, I was going to do it right.

I agree as well, the way LaCie bundles there monitors is puzzling, but I'm pretty sure thats a marketing thing and its how they get you to spend more money. Regardless, this is my career so the splurge is a long term investment. No regrets here.

It was lots of little things that made the 526 better, and it wasn't a huge price difference (at the time). But the deciding factor I believe was that the 324 was 10 gamut correction and the 526 was 12-bit gamma correction with 16-bit precision (my mentor broke down the math for me and explained it on a more technical level, and then it was a no brainer, and I don't remember the math breakdown lol). But thats a pretty large difference. I think that was the deciding factor, next to it was a slightly bigger. Larger color gamut for adobe RGB too. And an inch and half doesn't seem like much, but its significant enough. That can just make up for all the menus in PS that I use, leaving more image room on screen, ya know?

These links break down the specs MUCH better:

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. was unaware of your questions, hope this helps some more.

Last edited by Amanda_Lauren; 03-27-2010 at 12:27 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware