Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

New IMacs for retouching?

Old 03-18-2010, 12:50 PM
New IMacs for retouching?

My first post.
I'm primarily a photog but do significant retouching on my work.
It's time I upgraded from G5dual 2.0 and I wonder if anyone likes the new IMac for retouching work, specially the I5 or I7 versions. In terms of speed.

A quad Mac Pro refurb would be lovely but cash is very tight and I'm wondering is a refurb 27" I5 or I7 quad would be "almost" as good.... for video editing as I do video projects from time to time.

Yeah lack of an external SATA connection is a PITA, but can these things do the job if one isn't primarily a retoucher but works only on his own projects?

I've read that using an external boot drive, and using internal as master data & scratch might be a better config than internal boot...any educated opinions?

I half wonder if the new Mac Pros are just around the corner and the 09 versions will be clearance reduced really soon as well. The G5 serves me OK but can't use intel only plug ins or Capture One5, that I'd like to get soon.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2010, 02:41 PM
Re: New IMacs for retouching?

I'm also thinking of switching to Imac but I can't let go my PC 4core 4GB ram.
The only reason I really want to switch is because most pro in the business are on Mac.
So before I invest any hard work money, I'd like to know what the forum members have to say about this.

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2010, 03:03 PM

Well If I wasn't addicted to Apple products, I'd be tempted to get a custom built PC and save some cash just for max speed at a cut rate....

Macs are built like a BMW, as reliable as a Toyota, and one reason I love 'em.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2010, 03:21 PM

Hi mate, first post too, I think new iMacs are pretty good in terms of speed, depending on what you are doing.

But you'll be left with a glossy Apple screen, which is designed to make everything look colourful and contrasty. Not a bad thing for most people, but you might end up thinking your shots look better than they actually are. Also glossy screens are reflective, which is not ideal either.

Consider a Mac Pro, even older one and a screen of reasonable quality. Hopefully it will be more reliable than Toyota's accelerator though!

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware