RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Task manager (i think)

Old 03-29-2010, 10:17 AM

Re: Task manager (i think)

Thank you again
still looking through things having a tidy up and googling some of the entries ( surprising how many of them are windows ! ! ! ! )

any way found Gary this is where he is hanging out
will trawl through some more stuff and then if need be i will go get him ! ! ! ! !

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-29-2010, 12:04 PM

I'm glad I clicked on this thread. My computer has slowed down quite a bit too. I had no idea that photo files and brushes and stuff could slow you down so much. I'll have to figure this out. I have a secondary hard drive to back files up in case of crash, but if I remove the files from my hard drive, they won't really be backed up. Guess I could burn them to disk, but I'm often adding to or working on different ones. I'll have to think about this.
Becky
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-29-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpurvis View Post
I'm glad I clicked on this thread. My computer has slowed down quite a bit too. I had no idea that photo files and brushes and stuff could slow you down so much. I'll have to figure this out. I have a secondary hard drive to back files up in case of crash, but if I remove the files from my hard drive, they won't really be backed up. Guess I could burn them to disk, but I'm often adding to or working on different ones. I'll have to think about this.
Becky
I put my brushes, actions,textures,plug ins etc on to my portable drive and back them up onto disc (which i leave open so that i can add to it )

Photographs i put onto discs like by year or event etc but then also put them all onto a another disc as a backup ( again leaving open so that i can add too it till it is full )

makes for a boring hour or two but a job worth doing
oh and i dont clear my camera memory till i have done the discs

there might be a better way but havent worked one out yet !
and just to be even more boring i have a few discs with every image that i have ever posted here ! ! ! ! ! !

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-29-2010, 04:32 PM

Thanks a lot for the `Black Viper` link, great site
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-29-2010, 04:57 PM

Hmmm... I never thought of backing up brushes and stuff like that, but on the other hand it would be horrible to lose everything. It's probably time to do a good back up again. I have most of my photos burned to disk, but like to be able to access them so I can "play" with them when the mood hits. I'll have to take all but the most favorites off my hard drive to clear some room.

Can I ask what kind of a portable drive you use? I have a western digital from several years ago, but just use if for back ups - I don't leave it permanently connected. It ran all the time and I heard that they tended to die frequently so I wanted to extend it's life.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2010, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpurvis View Post
Hmmm... I never thought of backing up brushes and stuff like that, but on the other hand it would be horrible to lose everything. It's probably time to do a good back up again. I have most of my photos burned to disk, but like to be able to access them so I can "play" with them when the mood hits. I'll have to take all but the most favorites off my hard drive to clear some room.

Can I ask what kind of a portable drive you use? I have a western digital from several years ago, but just use if for back ups - I don't leave it permanently connected. It ran all the time and I heard that they tended to die frequently so I wanted to extend it's life.
my portable hd is a iomega 250gb and i only plug it in when i need it, i find it much better than having to find the right disc, load it etc etc although i do keep a rough list at hand as to what is on there
Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2010, 10:10 PM

i shld point out that photos dont normally auto-load with photoshop, unless there is some internal tool that does this. normally, your caches load when you load the program. this is to make the startup of that program faster. on my other computer i have so many photos in my paint shop pro folders that it takes almost five minutes to fully load psp and have it 'settle down', and that's after removing some of the folders from the load.

however, i doubt this is what's causing your problem. this sounds more like auto-scan or auto-updater. some anti-malware programs like spybot have a very strong and very active feature which aggressively 'hunt down' malware. this particular feature of spybot can be turned off for a more passive protection. it's up to you.

and, with so many programs now doing auto-updates, this could also be going on. adobe, corel, adobe reader, flash, anti-virus programs and others, not to even mention Windows itself, and you could see a lot of harddrive activity going on when you dont really know why. this is also why you want to spend a little time on blackviper to find out what services and applications and so on are actually running on your machine and what they mean and if you can live without them. i allow very few auto-updates. it's just annoying as hell to be working on something and up pops some warning or window requiring your attention or the harddrive is going mad and you dont know why. so, i leave most of them off or, i schedule the updates for a time when i wont be working but the computer is on.

so, do be aware of the possibility of a virus/trojan/malware of some sort, but dont get too alarmed every time the drive goes on. windows shld actually have a feature on the right side bar in win7 and vista for telling you when something is auto-updating. might save some headaches. or maybe firewalls could incorporate this?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2010, 04:50 AM

I hate to say this but when my PC starts acting like this it's time to upgrade. Just sayin'. Seems to happen about every 2-4 years. :-(
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2010, 08:10 AM

Craig thanks again will be looking at blackviper soon just been taking a look and learning things on the pc as i go along had a tidy up, scanned using windows defender/spybot etc the pc defrags everyweek, moved the scan time for the av till later when there is less chance of using the pc, stopped a few things at start up (probably could stop a few more )

looked up a lot of the tasks that are listed in the task manager and a fair few of them are windows based, one turned out to be Mcaffee ( how as we have never used it ?) just got to pluck up the courage to disable it
still have some that are numbers only ! !

I think it could well be a bit of everything just needs more tlc than we have been giving it ( wished windows 98 was still usable just used to get out the disc, clear the lot and start all over again )

Nasturtium a bit of wishful thinking a upgrade this one hasnt earn't its keep just yet And I think a better answer would be for me and DH to have our own pc ! ! ! ! !

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2010, 10:21 PM

Palms1,

While it appears you have some cleanup to do in your startup programs and services, there is another often overlooked Windows option that eats more CPU time the more files that exist on the hard drive(s).

It is called "indexing". It is used to build caches about file properties, so that disk searches will go faster. Unfortunately, as we increase the number of files, the indexing service gets slower and slower and larger and larger.

You can access it from the "properties" dialog in Windows Explorer. Just open "My Computer", right click on your first drive letter, click properties. At the bottom of the properties dialog, you'll see a check box for "allow indexing service to index this drive for fast file searching". You can uncheck this with no harm done. And, you'll notice hardly any difference in your file searching. Once, unchecked, you'll be prompted to turn off indexing for the root, or all sub-directories. Pick all sub-directories. Then, go watch some TV, as it will take a while if your drive is large. Later, do this for your next drive letter as well.

By default, I turn this off on every computer I set up, even for friends and family. It makes that much difference on overall speed.

But, be sure to fix the other issues as well. They will only get worse over time.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware