RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Task manager (i think)

Old 03-28-2010, 05:34 AM

Task manager (i think)

The problem with our pc is it seems to be scanning a lot and it makes the pc almost impossible to use at times,
we know when the antivirus scans but this is at other times, so i took a look at the task manager and it is completely gone over my head there are things there that have no names just numbers etc is there any place where i can read up on this ( and it needs to be simple ) i am loathe to just start deleting tasks as i dont know what are good ones or bad ones

can anyone offer some advice please

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2010, 08:07 AM

Re: Task manager (i think)

I have Googled things in the past to find out what they are, give it a try.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HroadhogD1 View Post
I have Googled things in the past to find out what they are, give it a try.
Thanks i do try it usually but i admit today to be a bit confused and lazy

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2010, 08:53 AM
Patron

Palms, whenever you see tasks whose names are only numbers, they are usually nasty trojan viruses. I have 2 recommendations for you.
1. There is a really good utility called The Ultimate Troubleshooter (TUT for short) which will display a list of all Tasks, Services, and Startup items and tell you the Mfg name and what they do and allow you to turn them off/on or diisable them. Plus it will display a coplete configuration of your PC (h/w & s/w).
2. Check out NOD32 by ESET. It is the best Antivirus / Anti Malware s/w I have found. Has some new technology, great features, and seems to catch everything.
Good luck cleaning you machine.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
Palms, whenever you see tasks whose names are only numbers, they are usually nasty trojan viruses. I have 2 recommendations for you.
1. There is a really good utility called The Ultimate Troubleshooter (TUT for short) which will display a list of all Tasks, Services, and Startup items and tell you the Mfg name and what they do and allow you to turn them off/on or diisable them. Plus it will display a coplete configuration of your PC (h/w & s/w).
2. Check out NOD32 by ESET. It is the best Antivirus / Anti Malware s/w I have found. Has some new technology, great features, and seems to catch everything.
Good luck cleaning you machine.
Regards, Murray
Thanks Murray will take a look at them, that is my worry that they could be trojans especially as there seems to be a lot around at the moment

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2010, 06:43 PM

I agree that is a bit strange to see numbers there all soft and window services typically have a descriptive name.
Checking your computer with a few additional antivirus programs would be in order. Norton and McCafee used to have an online anrivitus tools. Note that some of the worms could block antivisrus software installation... that is there online tool could come handy. Another option is to manually disable those suspected numbred tasks...disable the files you don't like in task manager, find the file with windows search and change extension from .exe to something else.
It could be, however, that your computer is getting show because it has to much software installed on it and it is either running out of RAM or the reqistry got too big
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2010, 07:22 PM
Patron

Not sure what antivirus s/w you are currently using but beware of any pop-up that pretends to be your AV s/w when it tells you it has just scanned your PC and found some number of viruses and tells you to click a button for more info. Do not click. That is usually a trojan - many going around now. You can tell by doing a Ctrl+Alt+Del and in the Applications, you will see close to the top of the list a running app that has either just numbers or random letters.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2010, 07:34 PM

hi palms,

not quite sure what you mean by 'scanning a lot', but i'm guessing you mean the harddrive light is on and flashing a LOT. and yes, that can make things run slowly. there are a number of things you can try:

1. find Gary. you remember him. he was the computer guru here. i think he works on a fix-it web site. look around in his posts. i know he mentions it somewhere.

2. get "Hijack This". this is a great program for troubleshooting your browser. it's a bit technical, but there's lots of help on the web with folks to help you sort through the results.

3. go to http://www.blackviper.com . this is a great site for letting folks know what they dont need in their computer, especially all the junk that microsoft stuffs in there. he covers many versions of windows and knows his stuff pretty darn well.

4. increase your swap file in windows. lots of times, if your ram gets filled, the harddrive is kicked in to serve as more ram. it's quite a bit slower than ram and the harddrive light will blink furiously. this may not help a lot, but it might help a bit.

5. increase the amount of ram in your system. if you have xp, 32 bit, you can increase it up to 3 gigs max. if you have vista or win7, 64 bit, you can increase it ... a big freaking number (sorry, i run out of toes and fingers on this one). i've currently got 6 gigs in mine, but have room for 12 on this motherboard.

6. active scanning programs are a pain in the... harddrive. most allow you to turn off the active scanning portion. i wont tell you that you dont need this active part, but i dont allow any on my rigs unless i know i'm going to be going to some site i dont really know or trust and then i may turn these back on. downloads too. turn them on for downloads if you dont know much about the program, the site, or who you're getting it from.

7. get "WinPatrol". this is a rather incredible little program that monitors stuff that wants to go in your Windows startup spaces and alerts you to these and then kills them if you dont want them running. it's saved my butt many times! a VERY must have program!

8. find Gary!

9. in lieu of finding Gary, find someone that looks like him

10. re-read 1 through 9.

11. do a de-frag on your harddrive.

12. flush all your temp files, especially the 'internet temp' files.

13. try to isolate where the problem is coming from. does it only happen when you run photoshop, your browser, or whatever.

14. did i mention finding Gary?

15. do a registry cleaning. it's amazing how much junk can end up there and not be attached to anything any more. just be sure you make a backup first!

16. if you have a very large photo library, the cache on this can take a long time to load when you run paint shop pro, photoshop or any other program that loads your pics for you. consider offloading a bunch of these to a cd/dvd or just taking them out of the cache startup for those programs.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-29-2010, 03:48 AM

Thanks you all for the advice given
I have started to do some scans etc (tried spybot last night and cleaning up a few things)
Murray i know of two people who have clicked those boxes and both had nasty trojans ( one was the young son, so parents drum into the kids not to click them)
Craig, You understand me ! that is what i mean
I dont keep photo's on the hard drive i put them more or less straight onto disc, and neither do i have a lot of software, ps brushes actions etc ( they go on a portable hard drive)
do you think i should find Gary ?:grin
the pc runs fine in between these "scan" things so i think that is where we must look and try to work out what is what so will look at the software/pages you have all mentioned
and i will look for Gary (Richardson) on the net that is wont go trawling the uk to find him

Thanks again

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-29-2010, 07:49 AM

There is a free program that I have had good luck with. It is called Malwarebytes anti-malware. Download it and run a scan. You might find and if infected get rid of it with this.

There is another program (this is free too) ccleaner it will delete temp files.

Last edited by HroadhogD1; 03-29-2010 at 09:30 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware