Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:31 PM
Lightbulb best PHOTOGRAPHER'S PC

i wanna buy a new pc for cs4/cs5 (future) and all stuff. max psd i have ever had was 300-500mb. normally i loads of layers, use different plugins, liquify and etc stuff (which requirec cpu power, as i understand).

so, tell me, what pc's do you have or i would like to ask, what kind of pc you would buy now?

i have different opinions, one photographer is offering me 4gb@800 and 6000 athlon (what sounds a bit funny, he use this pc for the last 4-5yrs maybe and he says that he can do everything he want and everything works flawlessly), another works with slides (his scans are 500-1000mb size) and he offered me this configuration (he said, its for you for the next 3-4yrs):
-asus p6x58d mb
-corsais dominator gt @2000
-i7 920 D0 stepping @ 2.66 (run it @4)
-asus ati radeon hd 5770 cucore 1024mb pci-express
-seasonic psu (its really quiet one)
-midtower (i still dont know which)
-WD black 750GB x 2 @ RAID0
-noctua cpu cooler, akasa ultra quiet 92mm fan, etc.

he told me that nowadays photoshop uses everything as ram and cpu power as video ram and hdd speed (everything is related).
as i read online, adobe say that ram is the most critical and hdd speed (they recommend as much ram as possible and raid0).

it's a bit pricey for me, so that's why im asking, what is overdone here and maybe really, i can save here on smth and won't see any difference in performance (working with graphic, sometimes (very very seldom) on video). do i really need i7, maybe photoshop limits are @i3? (let's keep in mind that paralelly captureONE is launched).

so tell me, what do you use and what you would like to use/have/buy. who is right here, photographer working on athlon and shooting nature and working with mouse or photographer shooting portraiture, nature, fashion on slides and retouching on wacom?

thnx for all your advices.

Last edited by erikerxon; 04-14-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2010, 09:04 PM

asus mobo = good! get a quad core at least. quad core2 duo is better, but an i7, 920 pin quad core is good.

dont know anything about corsais.

ati radeon with 1 gig mem pci-e = good!

dont know seasonic. look it up! there's been some funky power supplies in years past and make sure it can supply all your power needs.

western digital 750 gb x 2 raid 0 = good! (raid 0 is the mirrored raid, i believe. instant backup, always!)

dont know noctua. do your homework.

the one thing you left out that is totally crucial is windows. get win7, 64 bit and make sure the rest of the system can handle 64 bit. most motherboards and cpu's come such that they can do either 32 bit or 64 bit, but check on it! the reason you want 64 bit is that that gets you into the realm of having big time ram! gobs of ram! 32 bit limits you to 3 gigs of ram, max! 64 bit limits you to some godawful large number that you and i will never see reached in our lifetimes my 64 bit system has the capacity for 12 gigs. i currently have 6. also, for an additional plus, get a board that takes DDR3 ram, though DDR2 is ok.

your quadcore at 2.66 ghz will do fine for almost anything you're going to do graphically, especially if it has a large ram workspace. and, with computers going more and more to handing off gpu tasks from the cpu to the gpu, you want to make sure your vid card has a good amount of onboard ram, also. it's taken many YEARS for pc's to finally go this route. we had it back in the late 80's with macs and amigas and the old motorola chips, and the pc's are only now catching up. so, make sure your vid card is 1 gig or near 1 gig. the half gig isnt quite enough, in my opinion. and if you can afford a 2 gig model, go for it
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2010, 07:05 AM

why quad core2 is better? does photoshop use so much cpu power? a friend of mine who has 6000 athlon said that his cpu was snever ever loaded more than 60%. so why do i need quad core2?

no, raid1 ir mirrored, raid0 is parralel (makes one big hdd). i decided that normal hdd will go for system and storage and raid0 im going to use for PS cache and for current projects storage. how much space do i need for photoshop cache? 10-20gigs?

of course, win7 x64 no doubts and cs x64 (expensive).

you said you have 6gigs ram and how is it? have you ever filled em up or its enough? adobe say - as much as possible! recomendation is 6, but 8 is better, 12 is the best. but i think, what projects do you have to work on to fill 6gb ram. any comments?

yeah, pc manufacturers finally put their brains in right place

about video... for example...
Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E 2.1 x 16
Sapphire Radeon HD 5450 1GB GDDR3 PCI-E 2.1 x 16

difference in price is triple but how about performance? how critical is gddr5 vs gddr3? i feel that its critical for games/3d designers only, PS is 2D and for photo retouching and all this kind of stuff it should be more than enough (it doesnt matter what kind of 1gig ram is it, the main thing here is capacity, isnt it?)
2gig video card!? what do i have to do to fill it up? how much video ram do your projects use? somehow i feel that even 512mb video card would be enough
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2010, 07:55 AM

Seasonic PSU is good, check the reviews here
To know how much PSU power is needed

About cooler check

DDR5 is much better, 512 for a single monitor and 1GB for a DUAL or a single big monitor 30”
Nvidia drivers are less buggy(OpenGL with Photoshop) than ATI(I have both), a NVIDIA GT240 with DDR5(512/1GB) is good enough and low power consume.

If the i7-920 + p6x58d is too expensive go to a i5-750 or i7-860 + Gigabyte p55a-ud3p
they both overclocks very well, and a light/conservative overclock is not a problem with the
right cooler, if are not going to overclock better go to the i7-860.

Efficiency Explored: What's The Perfect Clock Rate For Your Core i5?,2500.html

Experiment: Comparing Four Quad-Core Architectures At 2.8 GHz,2499.html

Under Core i7's Hood: Comparing The C0 And D0 Steppings,2386.html

Overclocking Core i7: Power Versus Performance,2268.html

Gigabyte Latest BIOS (some guides at the list end, do not forget to update the BIOS)

Latest tools

Photoshop Benchmarks,1387.html
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware