RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Is the new iMac '27' Display as good as LCD '30?

Old 07-07-2010, 05:25 AM

Re: Is the new iMac '27' Display as good as LCD '3

My 3 years old MacBook Pro (2GB of RAM, 2,2 GHz processor, 15 inch) is faster than 1 year old iMac ... I mean in the average time you will spend communicating with the computer, not the processor speed ... iMac is too sleepy for me ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2010, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meok View Post
If I remember correctly, Chris Tarantino mentioned that he uses an Imac as his main retouching machine.
afaik the 21.5 inch only comes in glossy (which is what I have), with the bigger screens you can get a matte version, I believe.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2010, 08:02 AM

the rumor was Apple went to glossy screens to keep professionals from buying the cheaper imac for their production work instead of buying the more expensive towers, just internet chatter I read, no facts to back it up. No to sure about the bigger sizes coming in matte screen, the site says "edge to edge glass". Macbook Pro comes with "glossy or antiglare".
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2010, 08:46 AM

I do not have a MAC, but maybe using ColorEyes Display Pro it is possible to limit the monitor brightness for MAC, they have a tryout for 10 days...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2010, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
the rumor was Apple went to glossy screens to keep professionals from buying the cheaper imac for their production work instead of buying the more expensive towers, just internet chatter I read, no facts to back it up. No to sure about the bigger sizes coming in matte screen, the site says "edge to edge glass". Macbook Pro comes with "glossy or antiglare".
Yeah i agree. They wouldn't try and make the imac as accurate even if they could fit all that into the small area if they could. Because they would have to drop price on the Pro screens.
It's fair enough the imac is for a different market
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
the rumor was Apple went to glossy screens to keep professionals from buying the cheaper imac for their production work instead of buying the more expensive towers, ...[snip]
That's pretty much what the guy at the Apple store said to me

"matte" may not be the right technical term, maybe anti-glare is a better description
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2010, 11:37 PM

Their towers have really gone downhill too. Similar configurations have climbed in price drastically year after year. Look at the baseline 2008 mac pro compared to the 2009 one. They claimed it was a price drop 2800 to 2500, but all they did was take the $2300 custom downgrade configuration, and raise the price $200, with half the ram slots. It makes me sad. I could really use a replacement for my old G5, but their current tower options are just depressing. They set it up so that if you really want to max out an imac in power, it pretty much catches up with the baseline mac pro, only with half the i/o ability.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2010, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kav View Post
Their towers have really gone downhill too. Similar configurations have climbed in price drastically year after year. Look at the baseline 2008 mac pro compared to the 2009 one. They claimed it was a price drop 2800 to 2500, but all they did was take the $2300 custom downgrade configuration, and raise the price $200, with half the ram slots. It makes me sad. I could really use a replacement for my old G5, but their current tower options are just depressing. They set it up so that if you really want to max out an imac in power, it pretty much catches up with the baseline mac pro, only with half the i/o ability.
Yeah i see what you mean we were looking at the same thing the G5 started having parts fail and we couldn't put snow leopard in the G5 processor so I started looking for 2nd hand intel towers because the new ones seemed too pricey for the upgrade at the time. Anyway, we ended up finding an 2X '06' Mac Pro's and a Mac Mini for $2500.00 an Grays online. Jamed some Ram ijn there and theyve all been going strong for a year so far. A new one would be nice but this is a great compramise till you can justify buying a new one.

Also I just bought one of these pC Hoods I work under down lights so I hope it helps. Dp any of you use these?
http://www.photodon.com/mm5/merchant..._Code=112-AC30
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2010, 12:11 AM

This is my first post here. I have been a devoted Mac user for the past 10 years. In 2005 I bought a G5 Power PC and used and NEC CRT Monitor for my design work, which sometimes was was a pretty heavy load. The motherboard on the G5 power PC died last week. I loved my CRT monitor when it was new but it too is declining and is losing its range of color. So I figured it was time to start over. I purchased a 27" IMac today. I am writing because I am having serious reservations about this machine. I had wanted a 24" machine but the choice was only the 27" or the 21". I priced out the Mac pro and it is just too much $ for me now. The Mini doesn't have enough power. The specs for the Imac seemed right. I felt the monitor was doing something to my eyes in the store but i figured I would get used to it. Now I feel too constrained with the all in one monitor/computer set up and the inability to really make adjustments on this monitor. It is just too bright.

I have spent many , many hours doing tight textile design work and now photo retouching for my job in a library. I need to depend on my machine heavily and need it to work for me. Color matching to print is really important. I haven't even gotten into setting up the printer to the system yet. On a librarian's salary, $2000 for this set up is steep. I was happy to spend it because I initially loved the away this computer looks, it is elegant and beautiful, and I know the OS in and out. But now I am not so sure whether it would be smart to keep it, because of the eye strain issue. Already after being on the machine for a few hours, I am starting to feel a noticeable pressure like feeling in my eyes. I downloaded shades but I really don't want to rely on some third party thing like that to make this more bearable. Shades really distorts the color. Why does Apple insist on making this so bright? They should offer better ways to control this!!! This monitor is hurting my eyes!

As I mentioned , I am a Mac person, although I have learned Windows in the past year. I don't love windows the way i love Mac. However, I think it might be an option that will work better for me in giving me what I need. I wonder if I would be smarter to go to a windows system that will give me more choices for a powerful computer, and choice of monitor where I can adjust the settings more. The Mac Pro is out of my budget. I never thought I would say this but I think I can get more of what I need from a Windows set up. Any thoughts would be very greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn D View Post
This is my first post here. I have been a devoted Mac user for the past 10 years. In 2005 I bought a G5 Power PC and used and NEC CRT Monitor for my design work, which sometimes was was a pretty heavy load. The motherboard on the G5 power PC died last week. I loved my CRT monitor when it was new but it too is declining and is losing its range of color. So I figured it was time to start over. I purchased a 27" IMac today. I am writing because I am having serious reservations about this machine. I had wanted a 24" machine but the choice was only the 27" or the 21". I priced out the Mac pro and it is just too much $ for me now. The Mini doesn't have enough power. The specs for the Imac seemed right. I felt the monitor was doing something to my eyes in the store but i figured I would get used to it. Now I feel too constrained with the all in one monitor/computer set up and the inability to really make adjustments on this monitor. It is just too bright.

I have spent many , many hours doing tight textile design work and now photo retouching for my job in a library. I need to depend on my machine heavily and need it to work for me. Color matching to print is really important. I haven't even gotten into setting up the printer to the system yet. On a librarian's salary, $2000 for this set up is steep. I was happy to spend it because I initially loved the away this computer looks, it is elegant and beautiful, and I know the OS in and out. But now I am not so sure whether it would be smart to keep it, because of the eye strain issue. Already after being on the machine for a few hours, I am starting to feel a noticeable pressure like feeling in my eyes. I downloaded shades but I really don't want to rely on some third party thing like that to make this more bearable. Shades really distorts the color. Why does Apple insist on making this so bright? They should offer better ways to control this!!! This monitor is hurting my eyes!

As I mentioned , I am a Mac person, although I have learned Windows in the past year. I don't love windows the way i love Mac. However, I think it might be an option that will work better for me in giving me what I need. I wonder if I would be smarter to go to a windows system that will give me more choices for a powerful computer, and choice of monitor where I can adjust the settings more. The Mac Pro is out of my budget. I never thought I would say this but I think I can get more of what I need from a Windows set up. Any thoughts would be very greatly appreciated.
Well you're in a similar boat to me, you want a Mac, but couldn't afford the MacPro. To be honest I would rather (and Have) bought a second hand macpro and a new screen, rather than a PC. Mainly because I dont want to learn the photoshop shortcuts and new OS etc.

It is a shame they have done this to the imac but it's just different technology in the imac to fit it all into to such a confined space, and it's ok for a home desktop. It is not going to print accurate colours, to do that you need a ICC Calibrator for your screen, a MacPro and a ICC Calibrated Printer.

In saying that the imac is still a great machine and you should be able to do something close to the printed image once you get used to the screen looking so intense, and you will find your images looking a bit duller in other screens and on paper.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware