RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Is the new iMac '27' Display as good as LCD '30?

Old 07-06-2010, 06:04 AM

Question Is the new iMac '27' Display as good as LCD '30?

Hi Everybody,

1st Post, couldn't find a clear answer anywhere.

I am a retoucher full time and have a Macbook Pro 13 and was about to upgrade my 23 inch display to the 30 for high quality retouching at home.
I already use a '30' at work and it is beautiful!

My question to you guys is, would it be as good to buy a "27" inch Imac instead these days?

I'm wondering because the price difference is only $100.00 and I could live without the extra 2 inches of screen if Im getting a full computer extra, if the quality is as accurate.

I know the imac has gloss screen and LED Display,
and the '30' Cinema has mat screen which is preferable and a different graphics card than the Macbook Pro 13 I would run it from.

So would the screen be as nice zoomed in and as accurate to print from is guess is the question to you professionals.

Thank you Very Much to anyone for helping with an opinion.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2010, 06:15 AM

Re: Is the new iMac '27' Display as good as LCD '3

I forgot to add the display would be ICC Calibrated with the eye one Calibrator.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2010, 06:30 AM
Janitor

This is really a question for Andrew Rodney, but during his last RetouchPRO LIVE show he mentioned that iMacs have limited calibratability (is that a word?). He uses a 30" NEC Spectraview monitor.

I'll be rebroadcasting his show 7/14/10.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2010, 08:07 AM

glossy screen will drive you crazy unless you are in a strictly controlled environment, the reflections are a pain the backside. I currently use a NEC Multisync 3090WQXi LCD 30", eye one calibrated and have used the Eizo's also.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2010, 08:39 AM

Neither Apple display is anything special, the iMac’s can be difficult to calibrate in terms of setting luminance. They are too damn bright. The NEC 3090 is a substantially superior 30” display when calibrated using its supplied SpectraView II software.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
glossy screen will drive you crazy unless you are in a strictly controlled environment, the reflections are a pain the backside.
what he said. I turn down the brightness if I'm just surfing. Have to take a break every 45 min or risk a headache. Also everything looks great on a backlit LED. -so your edits risk looking bland every where else.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2010, 04:40 PM

The imacs actually use really nice panels, but the panel isn't everything. LG basically owns the IPS panel market. The ips dells and imacs have the same panels as the newer eizos and NECs, but the latter companies simply have better implementations. If I was buying an NEC I'd go with one of the new models rather than the current 30" which is going to be replaced by the PA series or whatever it is which has the newer 24 and 27. Whatever one you're looking at turn it to minimum brightness and see how it looks. I work at 80 cd/m2, but most won't dim down anywhere near that far when they're new. If it's too bright it'll often space the skin tone values in a weird manner, and it'll influence you toward corrections that'll look dull later as was mentioned. Make sure it doesn't partially clip white/black in photoshop and that you can reach a decent black level. I haven't looked at the LED displays but apple displays have often lacked uniformity, especially the imac. Glossy screens drive me insane.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2010, 03:01 AM

OK thanks for the answers, it seems everyone is heading towards NEC (Eizo's probably too pricey for me). Which is very helpful advice. I'll look into one before I go buying a mac 30 and I'll definitely stay away from the iMac..

Although it's so tempting to get a whole extra computer for your buck. It's a shame they had to changed the gloss screens and Led and brightness. I suppose it was meant for a nice home desktop for emails movies etc, but the people that need to print accurately need to go with the proper LCD screens.
Hearing that they are not even capable of calibrating properly with an eye-one turns me off big time.
Also I totally agree that the glossy screens suck I have one on my laptop and it seems to always have marks and reflections on it, so I don't want anymore of that.

So thanks again to everyone for the advice.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2010, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson View Post
This is really a question for Andrew Rodney, but during his last RetouchPRO LIVE show he mentioned that iMacs have limited calibratability (is that a word?). He uses a 30" NEC Spectraview monitor.

I'll be rebroadcasting his show 7/14/10.
I'd like to watch this thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2010, 05:01 AM

If I remember correctly, Chris Tarantino mentioned that he uses an Imac as his main retouching machine.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware