RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Does Illustrator work easier with a tablet

Old 07-24-2010, 09:27 PM

Does Illustrator work easier with a tablet

Hi there. I am just learning Illustrator CS4. I am mainly going to be using the pen tool as Im tend to do bold design that requires sharp edges. Our tutor advised that drawing in Illustrator is not that great and should be kept for Photoshop and as a result of that with only really using the pen tool, a drawing tablet is a waste of money and that he only used his tablet when using photoshop.

I suffer badly with RSI and wonder whether using a pen tablet would be easier and fast than using a mouse with the pen tool.

Can you experts out there advise me and if I do buy one, Wacom Bamboo fun or will I wish I had the Intuos 4

Advice anyone ?
Thanks. Rachel.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2010, 12:46 AM

Re: Does Illustrator work easier with a tablet

it took me a while to get used to using a tablet for clipping paths, but now that i have the hang of i can't see myself using a mouse ever again...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2010, 01:11 AM

The tablet is one of my favorite tools. I know a lot of people say that, but if you work in photoshop or illustrator extensively and competently, then a tablet does significantly speed things up in my experiences.

Most of my work is in photoshop , where using a tablet instead of a mouse for brush work and masking is like night and day) but when I ma doing vector work with paths I still use my tablet and I find that once you get use to using it, it makes working smoother and I can generally move faster. Particularly if you program the the pen buttons as modifier so you can make adjustments to your paths without needing to keep your fingers hovering over the keyboard.

If you can afford it, I think the Intuos line is worth the investment.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2010, 12:11 AM

Thanks so much for your advice... much appreciated.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2010, 10:03 AM
Patron

Quote:
Our tutor advised that drawing in Illustrator is not that great and should be kept for Photoshop and as a result of that with only really using the pen tool, a drawing tablet is a waste of money and that he only used his tablet when using photoshop.
Bah! that's just his personal, subjective opinion.

I've got a 12" Cintiq that I'll not part with unless you endeavour to pry it from my cold, dead fingers
I've found using a graphics tablet for vector work in Illustrator an absolute sanity saver and I use my Cintiq almost exclusively now for all my Photoshop and Illustrator work. Oh yeah- no mouse= no mouse cramp LOL! Hell,I even use it for much of my mundane computer stuff and even some games hee.
Initially it took me a little time and practice to get the feel for it and work out how I'd like my pen settings but I soon got that sorted and was good to go. I do so much more freehand sketching and drawing now.

If you find writing and drawing with a pen more comfortable for you than using a mouse, that makes a pen tablet certainly worth considering. If you can get the opportunity to try one out that would be excellent. If you decide to get an Intuos tablet take a good look through the selection of pens and nibs, I ended up getting two grip pens, the standard pen nib in one and a softer felt type nib in the other- different feel. I agree also with Ratpat, if you can afford it, better to go for one of the medium or larger Intuos tablets.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2010, 02:10 AM

I would love a 12" Cintiq, what a dream. Thank you so much for your advice, Im tempted to get the large just in case later I wish I had one! As I read somewhere albeit it might involve more hand movement one can program it to be smaller in area or something like that. Thanks also for the advice about the pen grips, being in New Zealand Im not sure we get choices like that, there is only one shop that has a Wacom to trial out! Amazing hey! Cheers.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware