RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Hard drive noise

Old 06-22-2002, 09:30 AM

Agreed - as we speak I am sitting with my computer case off and a permanent room fan cooling the beast within - my hd makes so many disconcerting noises that if I were to pay any attention to them I would be forever in PC clinic.

My advice is don't worry until something happens and maybe a copy of norton ghost if you are nervous
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2002, 01:40 PM
Janitor

Chris: It is an IBM drive. With rhythm.

Tom: That "S.M.A.R.T." was a good tip. Norton has a monitor for it, and I'm running it now...we'll see.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2002, 04:17 PM

The key here is not just noise...its noise AND data loss. All drives make some degree of noise...some more than others, but a noise that is new, totally random and accompanied by data loss is not normal, period. At the very least there is an intermittent malfunction with data write/read functions, which is a red flag...If you have a second drive with enough space on it, you might consider "cloning" the O/S to it from the suspicious drive and simply making the "clone" partition inactive...if your HDD does crash, you can access the second drive, make the "cloned" partition active and have lost NO data, programs and so on...just a suggestion...Tom

Last edited by thomasgeorge; 06-22-2002 at 04:24 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2002, 03:59 AM
Janitor

In case anyone is following my little soap opera, I went to the IBM website (they make my hd) and downloaded their S.M.A.R.T. diagnostic and monitoring software (free, but if you get one, get it from your specific hd manufacturer). Norton's didn't work.

Anyway, I ran the extended test (over an hour) and it came back with "errors reported, backup immediately, failure is possible at any time, contact your vendor for a replacement drive".

So I contacted Gateway and they're sending out another drive. In spite of the memory incident I really do like Gateway and would heartily recommend them to any pc purchaser.

It should get here thursday, already loaded with my OS, and I'll be able to install my existing drive as a slave and copy all my data over (then securely wipe it before I send it back).
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2002, 04:43 AM

Doug have you got the link for the IBM diagnostic ware ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2002, 09:04 AM

Get a Zero fill utility from the IBM web site to be sure your disc is really wiped....just a suggestion..Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2002, 01:39 PM
Janitor

Chris: Sorry, I should have provided that:
http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/support/download.htm

Tom: already on top of that. Don't want playful employees getting ahold of my cookies
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2002, 01:52 PM

I am perhaps a bit paranoid...but I have never entertained any expectation of privacy when it comes to Computers..thus my love of zero fill utilities.... Tom

Last edited by thomasgeorge; 06-24-2002 at 02:33 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-27-2002, 08:47 PM
Janitor

Well, my new hd arrived yesterday, but it was formatted with fat32 so I had to refortmat it as NTFS and reinstall everything from scratch, then apply about 60megs of patches via the internet.

Six hours later it was up and running. Amazing how much quiter it is than the old one, even though it is the exact make and model. It isn't 'new' though, which was a bit of a disappointment.

Now I'm wiping my old drive. On a lark I selected 'government standard' erasure, which may have been a mistake but is fun. Will take probably 10-15 hours to wipe the whole thing

I've used NTFS before, but moving files over from the old drive to the new one, combined with the NTFS, is giving me fits. The only way I can access my old files is to give myself administrator priveledges, which is unsafe. So I installed ZoneAlarm and I'm doing research in the meantime.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-27-2002, 11:59 PM

Doug,

I'm glad to hear they sent you a replacement HD. I agree with Tom. Noise AND data loss almost always suggests a HD problem.

For anyone else who wants to check possible HD problems... Although he doesn't yet have a version that is compatible with NTFS disk formatting, Steve Gibson's SpinRite is my favorite disk utility. SpinRite overview has product info and links for more info. It works on FAT and FAT32 formatted disks.

Gene
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware