RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Hard drive noise

Old 06-28-2002, 04:10 AM

Was the drive 'refurbished' Doug or were they giving you a product with an deduction for wear and tear ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2002, 08:42 AM
Janitor

It had a sticker on it, something like "serviceable used" or like that. Equivalent of refurb, I guess, although what there is to refurb on a hd I have no idea.

Btw, 16 hours and just passed the 72% marker on the erase
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2002, 05:52 PM
Janitor

22 hours total, plus it started making that same annoying noise right at the end, only it wouldn't stop this time. So I powered down and took it out. It was so hot I couldn't handle it. The new one was barely over room temperature (of course, 22 hours of continuous use would make any electronics a bit warm, just ask my television).

So nice to have a quiet computer

It was so noisy while erasing that I couldn't stand to be near it for very long, so I got behind a bit in my postings. Apologies, and I'm working on them now.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2002, 06:53 PM

I'm stepping in here after the fact, but I wanted to say I think you made the best decision with regard to getting a new drive. The same thing happened to me, I had a suspicion it was going to happen, so I burned as many CD's as possible before it went. The drive just got worse and worse. Sometimes it would boot, sometimes, not. Finally it just died.

Now the only problem I have it that I used Direct CD, and some of my CD's cannot be recognized by my newer burner. I know there is a UDF reader, but that hasn't solved the problem. Luckily, I don't really keep anything critical on my machine.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2002, 07:04 PM
Janitor

I was lucky my machine still had a year left on the warranty. I'd be crossing myself and burning incense before logging on everyday, otherwise.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2002, 02:59 AM

This is OT on Doug's thread, but to respond to Vikki
Quote:
Now the only problem I have it that I used Direct CD, and some of my CD's cannot be recognized by my newer burner.
On the "advanced CD-R" list, there's been quite a bit of talk about the reliability of packet writing s/w (such as DirectCD) with CD-RW discs. I've also lost quite a bit of data using DirectCD (including some of my restoration stuff), so I never use it anymore. I rather write multisession data to CD-RWs and when the CD is full, I burn the data to a CD-R and format the CD-RW. An advantage of this is that the CD-RW can be read in any CD-drive as well without the UDF-reader. Since I started doing this about 2 yrs back, I've not lost any data (and I haven't had to cross myself or burn incense either )
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2002, 08:41 AM

Just as a matter of interest what do the internal discs of a hard drive rotate on, some form of ball bearing or just a plain bearing ?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware