RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Work in 16bit? What beast of machine you've got?

Old 08-11-2010, 03:26 AM

Re: Work in 16bit? What beast of machine you've go

Quantum - Good to know about this mdworker.. I'm going to watch it today, see what it does.
Florin - I don't know much about Windows, but can you still search when you disable that?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2010, 03:37 AM

Keep the Activity Monitor opened and you will see it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2010, 08:14 AM

On all Windows systems there is a process / service named MDM - "Machchine Debug Manager" but I ignore if it is the same but called by Mac's "mdworker". The fact is that on Win it is holdind very few Rams.
Here I found something about: http://discussions.apple.com/thread....46203&tstart=1
Anyway, Google is your first option to find some forums and read about.

On Win, it`s very easy to desable this both from the Task Manager or Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services.
You should also desable the indexing service (if you have it on Mac), it runs on background and it really is usless, supposed to accelerate the searching on your HD, when you're looking for some file.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2010, 08:14 AM

If you really want to use 16 bits per channel, anything not done directly on image data but via use of masks is pretty much fine to do on an 8 bit copy. Say curves, selective color, brightness/contrast, softlight or color dodge painting layers, etc. can be done on an 8 bit copy then duplicated. A lot of expensive labs still work on images at 8 bits per channel, so it's not to say that you can't produce printable artwork without working at maximum bit depth. This is just kind of a work around that I use if an image is being processed conservatively and adjusted massively in post. Also not sure if you're working in RGB or CMYK. Having to deal with a 4 channel image at 16 bits per channel is painful.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2010, 04:51 PM

I've been using Microsoft Office on my mac and never had a problem with the mdworker app. It's only noticeable when working/saving big files on PS (400MB-1,5GB on disk, 5-7GB on memory) and it doesn't affect the cores, just the RAM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2010, 02:40 AM

I've been testing the mdworker in Activity Monitor, it's quite well behaved on my machine.. Even when saving 1.2 GB file to disk, it only eats up a couple of MB and a fraction of processor speed. I run OS X 10.6.4, no Microsoft Office installed.

What is strange though, that only a small part of time consumed when saving layered 16 bit is actual writing to the disk.. Most of the time (sometimes 3-5 mins) disk is idle, but Photoshop is at 100% or even something like 100.6% of CPU.. Strange.
I guess I only find out whether I can speed up the machine at all by getting CS5 and more memory.

Kav - Let's say you do a soft light layer or a painted mask using tablet with pressure sensitive opacity/flow etc in 8 bit. I think if you did the same thing in 16 bit the mask would have less banding in it/be smoother. So you only have half of the advantage when you convert to 16 bit afterwards and paste in a fresh 16 bit background.

And I agree you can produce printable artwork in 8 bit, I've been doing it for years!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2010, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samimg View Post
I've been testing the mdworker in Activity Monitor, it's quite well behaved on my machine.. Even when saving 1.2 GB file to disk, it only eats up a couple of MB and a fraction of processor speed. I run OS X 10.6.4, no Microsoft Office installed.

What is strange though, that only a small part of time consumed when saving layered 16 bit is actual writing to the disk.. Most of the time (sometimes 3-5 mins) disk is idle, but Photoshop is at 100% or even something like 100.6% of CPU.. Strange.
I guess I only find out whether I can speed up the machine at all by getting CS5 and more memory.

Kav - Let's say you do a soft light layer or a painted mask using tablet with pressure sensitive opacity/flow etc in 8 bit. I think if you did the same thing in 16 bit the mask would have less banding in it/be smoother. So you only have half of the advantage when you convert to 16 bit afterwards and paste in a fresh 16 bit background.

And I agree you can produce printable artwork in 8 bit, I've been doing it for years!
I've done it both ways. For my purposes the photographic data would be where I'd be concerned about banding. Even if my masks developed a minor amount of banding it wouldn't worry me much. If it's really difficult painting, I haven't found bit depth to be the determining factor. I have made larger copies of an image just to make painting masks easier. It isn't a perfect solution but it's just annoying when going from 2 pixels to 3 pixels gives you an effective 50% increase on brush size. Between adjusting the shape and going to a higher bit depth, neither solved the problem in the same way for me. I could see it being more necessary with hdr tone mapping.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2010, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samimg View Post

So strange... So you checked the mdworker and it was fine but you found the mac slow anyway?

PS: If you're getting the SBBOD for about 10-25 secs when this happens to you, probably you need to reset your finder.plist
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware