Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Mac Pro HD configuration

Old 09-06-2010, 01:17 PM
Question Mac Pro HD configuration

I'm about to buy a new MacPro box, the base Mac Pro 2.8 Quad.
I have a 26" NEC monitor, hoping to add the 30" NEC to that. Also have an e-SATA 5 bay Burley external enclosure.
Will be running PS CS5, Lightroom, C1, some Premiere/FCP plus the usual business related software that doesn't push the hardware too much. I'm concentrating on the photography aspect here, not the video.
I'm a pro photographer, but running a business, so trying to build to what I need, while keeping a hard eye on budget.
Shoot 99.9% RAW files, DSLR 21MP + hi res film scan and medium format (45MP) RAW. Current LR catalog has 25,000 image files.
I'm now down to deciding on the drive configuration. Would love to hear any comments or suggestion on how to simplify or make this more efficient etc.

Put in after market RAM to bring up to 24MB as 3x8MB chips, so I can later add another 8MB chip to make it 32MB total (4x8MB).
Stick with the base video card in the base 2010 MacPro.

BOOT (System + Apps) - OWC SSD drive 240GB - also set as scratch drive AND have Lightroom Previews and Catalog.
QUESTION - enough room for scratch and for LR Previews and Catalogs?

4 internal drive HD bays set up as:

MASTER 2x2TB HD's set-up as RAID-0 stripe - all working files

TIME MACHINE 2x2TB HD's set-up as RAID-1 Mirror - back up of MASTER and LR Previews and Catalog files.
QUESTION - While Time Machine is set to back-up the Master drive, can I have Time Machine back up my LR Previews and Catalog from the SSD Boot drive as well? What happens if my Master disc goes above 2TB of data when my Time Machine set-up is 2x2TB HD's set up as RAID-1 Mirror?

External Burley 5 bay.

Set-up as "ARCHIVE". Images files that are not in current active use. As soon as a job is finished and delivered, files are moved from MASTER to ARCHIVE.

ARCHIVE 1 (Backup) - 2 TB HD

Bays 3-5 remain empty and fill with drives as Archive increases.

Any comments, suggestions, improvements, flaws in my reasoning?

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2010, 09:27 AM
Re: Mac Pro HD configuration

If you're using cs5 and 24 gigs (guessing you meant gigs, not mb's) you don't even need so much scratch disc anymore. Have PS use 70% of your ram and you've got 16.8 Gigs of RAM to be filled up with images. I've worked with a 12 Gig file, but never bigger than that.

Otherwise that machine looks lovely and expensive. If you're going there, why not wait a month and get a 12 core machine?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2010, 01:12 PM
Re: Mac Pro HD configuration

That's what comes off still having a G4 in my studio (iTunes only) - RAM in MB's!

12 core too expensive for my needs - plus it's out isn't it (in the US anyway)?
Photoshop is pretty poor at using multiple cores - though they would be useful for Lightroom/C1 and FCP. I'm thinking that in a years time - when I've got more money - I'll upgrade the processor to a 3.33 Hexacore.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware