RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Advice for Tablets

Old 10-22-2010, 04:57 AM

Advice for Tablets

I am considering investing in a tablet and I would appreciate some feedback. As with all things there is a vast range of prices. This is not for commercial use and I would like to keep the budget as low as possible without ending up with something which doesn't perform too well.

I will be using it purely for restoring old images in PS3 and would welcome feedback from anybody using one for a similar purpose.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2010, 06:30 AM

Re: Advice for Tablets

I use a Wacom Intuos 4 but for many years simply used a Graphire 4. I have two of them, one which I bought off Ebay for just $40! The older tablets do not have the same pressure sensitivity and as many programmable keys but they are certainly fine for restoration. The downside (if you decided to buy an older model second hand) is that Wacom no longer make or sell compatible stylus' for them. I have a tendency to wear out my pens. I have not tried the cheaper Bamboo tablets so unfortunately cannot comment on those. I love my Intuos 4 though.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2010, 06:44 AM

if you go down the second hand route, check for driver compatability beforehand.
We have a wacom digitizer that wont run on mac g4 or 64bit windows(XP or vista or 7).
Also an older tablet which will only plug into an old style mouse connector on g3 mac which we dont have and there is no adapter for! I am using an Intuos (on windows xp64) which is excellent.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2010, 06:55 AM

Thank you both for that. I dont think I would risk a second hand one.
The Wacom Bamboo does look a good bet at about £60. I would like to hear from anyone who is using the Bamboo?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2010, 07:08 AM

I love my bamboo.

If you buy a new one be sure not to throw away the extra nibs that come with it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2010, 07:41 AM

check out another discussion there:http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...uch-mouse.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick911 View Post
I am considering investing in a tablet and I would appreciate some feedback. As with all things there is a vast range of prices. This is not for commercial use and I would like to keep the budget as low as possible without ending up with something which doesn't perform too well.

I will be using it purely for restoring old images in PS3 and would welcome feedback from anybody using one for a similar purpose.

I bought a Bamboo Pen about 3 months ago, for $79. the least expensive. I bought it thinking as you, that is; not for commercial use. It works fine, and there's a big difference in my works since, concerning to time and control. At first I thought, I'm not going back to the mouse, but it is a good thing to save the Pen nib only for retouch and drawing, and use the mouse to navigate the internet and minimal works that don't require too much painting and control.

I love this thing... Getting more involved with it, even thinking on doing professional retouch in a near future. There are some other Bamboo models, but since you are not going to use it commercially, this one would work for you.

Regards

Last edited by Boneappetit; 10-22-2010 at 03:17 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotter View Post
if you go down the second hand route, check for driver compatability beforehand.
We have a wacom digitizer that wont run on mac g4 or 64bit windows(XP or vista or 7).
Also an older tablet which will only plug into an old style mouse connector on g3 mac which we dont have and there is no adapter for! I am using an Intuos (on windows xp64) which is excellent.
I have been using a Digitizer 2 with no problems on a PC running xp?
But now using a wacom tablet on a PC tried the xp64 route but could not
souce all the drivers and seemed pointless in the end just to run more
RAM which PS likes.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2010, 02:32 AM

Thank you all very much for the feedback. Really useful.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware