RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Dual Monitor Set-Up

Old 11-30-2010, 08:21 PM

Dual Monitor Set-Up

Hi All,

I’m thinking about a duel monitor set-up for use with PS CS5 and have a couple of questions.

My current set up is a HP Pavilion elite m90402 with Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 and a NIVDA GeForce 8400 GS Graphics card.
The Graphics card has 1 S Video, 1 HDMI and 1 Digital Video ports. My Monitor is a HP w2207 and has 1 DVI and 1 VGA port. I have upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 32 bit. I also had to replace the power supply and went from 300W to 400W.

Can I have one monitor use a HDMI to HDMI and the other DVI to the Digital Output on my graphics card or do I need to replace the graphics card if so what is your recommendation. Second should the monitors be the same size? I was thinking of using a 20 inch for the second one as I’m planning on using it for the tools and palettes.

Thanks
Jessie

Last edited by Jessie711; 11-30-2010 at 08:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2010, 08:27 PM

Re: Duel Monitor Set-Up

I use Apple Cinema HD 30" for work and 23" Cinema HD at home a and I must admit I don't really like the 30" one. It's too big. Really. Eyes get tired faster and you have to move your head every time you need something in the corner of the screen.

So I'd recommend getting one good big screen - something around 23-27" and use it for all graphic work. Double screens are great for musicians and video editors, but not for graphic purposes.

Better save money and buy one great screen, instead of two crappy ones.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2010, 01:35 AM

I'd invest in one good one as said above. When I'm not doing photoshop/printing/etc. I keep the expensive one turned off, and use my older monitor which has been retired to secondary display. No matter what they say about hardware calibration, LUT's, etc, they all degrade over time based on usage, so I prolong my work display in this manner. There is a warmup, but the better ones are pretty usable for color corrections after around 15 minutes.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2010, 01:51 AM

I have Apple Cinema 30" at home, i have another monitor which is Eizo CG222W, and even that Eizo is better as i heard but i got used to 30", and now i see any monitor in 20" are small, i may work again with Eizo 22" but i have to re-arrange my new "office-bedroom" to have monitors and computers within available space.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2010, 09:54 AM

Thanks for the replies however I’m only a Photoshop hobbyist and I think the price of both the Apple Cinema and Eizo ColorEdge are too high for anyone other than graphics professionals.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2010, 11:43 AM

Short of something in that range you're probably fine with what you've got. I never found dual displays to be all that comfortable with how they make my pen behave. If your tool palette gets in your way too much, you might be better off relying on shortcuts/key bindings (I do this and it's way quicker). It's entirely possible to work with one hand on the pen or mouse and the other one on the keyboard to switch tools, create new layers, etc.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2010, 03:07 PM

I just picked up the ViewSonic VP2365WB (23" e-IPS). I couldn't justify an $800+ display (as a hobbiest), so I bought this one at a local retailer (so I could return it if I didn't like it). I have to tell you, I'm really impressed with it - much nicer than my old standard consumer LCD.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2010, 03:48 PM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the way I understand it, you need two graphics cards or a dual card to run two monitors.
I think if you use two different outputs on one graphic card both monitors will show the same image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhartman View Post
I just picked up the ViewSonic VP2365WB (23" e-IPS). I couldn't justify an $800+ display (as a hobbiest), so I bought this one at a local retailer (so I could return it if I didn't like it). I have to tell you, I'm really impressed with it - much nicer than my old standard consumer LCD.
Viewsonic many years ago used to make a couple crts that were decent for their pricing. I haven't used one of their lcd displays personally, but I've seen a number of failure complaints on different models. This is a much higher volume brand so that's to be expected as people are always more vocal with complaints. Did you make sure to check on warranty servicing details such as where you'd need to take it (back to the retailer or do you have to mail it direct?), if you're responsible for shipping charges, turnaround time, any backlight or usage exclusions? It's a valid concern for consumer grade displays. None of them cover deterioration over time unless it's severe, even within the warranty period. You just want to know if the backlight goes out in a year that you're covered.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2010, 11:34 AM

Re: Dual Monitor Set-Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kav View Post
Viewsonic many years ago used to make a couple crts that were decent for their pricing. I haven't used one of their lcd displays personally, but I've seen a number of failure complaints on different models. This is a much higher volume brand so that's to be expected as people are always more vocal with complaints. Did you make sure to check on warranty servicing details such as where you'd need to take it (back to the retailer or do you have to mail it direct?), if you're responsible for shipping charges, turnaround time, any backlight or usage exclusions? It's a valid concern for consumer grade displays. None of them cover deterioration over time unless it's severe, even within the warranty period. You just want to know if the backlight goes out in a year that you're covered.
The Viewsonic has a 3 year warranty.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware