RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Glass Negatives with a Cano Scan 8800F

Old 01-21-2011, 09:07 AM
Patron

Re: Glass Negatives with a Cano Scan 8800F

Perhaps consider other software? A good one IMO is Vuescan http://www.hamrick.com/ you can download a trial copy and if it works you can register and pay for the unlock code.

EDIT: Not familiar with the scanning software for the Canon however it is surprising that you cannot select an individual frame. When you say you get 6 do you mean the same image repeated or one image with 5 blank frames?
Usually after a scan or preview scan you should be able to select the area you want. See if there is a select preview function and if you can drag a box around the area of interest

Last edited by Tony W; 01-21-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2011, 04:39 PM

I get 6 different areas of the negative, kinda weird but I probably could stitch them all together. I have about 3000 ~ 4X3 glass and film negatives. I guess I will have to buy a good scanner that WILL scan 4X3's, any suggestions?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2011, 05:35 AM
Patron

For me at least stitching 3000 images together would be a non starter

If you cannot find any tricks in your software to get what you want then how about going with my suggestion and trying the demo version of Vuescan. At least it is no cost initially to see if your scanner can do what you want with the plate size. I know that you will be able to scan and select just the area you want with this software.

If you do feel the need to purchase a new scanner there are many that will do the job. My preference at this time would be the Epson range v750 v700 or v600 (assume that these are still current). You will also need to double check that your selection enables you to scan the plates fully. I also find that the Epson software is quite adequate although if you want the best then once again look at Vuescan or even Silversoft offerings.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2011, 06:24 AM

Thanks Tony .. I will try Vuescan and research 4x3 scanners this weekend.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2012, 02:56 PM

I am wondering, a year after the last post on this subject, has anyone solved the problem? I am looking to buy a flatbed scanner which I am able to scan several 3" X 4" glass negatives plus also the more usual 35mm film and carded slides. I was looking at the Canon 9000f. Can anyone advise me please.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2012, 04:15 PM
Patron

AFAIK the Canon will only scan up to 120 film size (2.25" wide) in a strip so you will be missing 3/4" unless you scan and stitch the strips together.

To accept the larger film sizes you will need to look at more expensive models such as the Epson V700 or 750 which have a transparency area of up to 8x10".

Do not be thrown by the specification either as the quoted ppi figures do not actually represent what these flatbeds are capable of resolving, although the pixel count will be correct. Typically you need to reduce the non interpolated figures down by anything up to 60% e.g. Epson V750 quoted as 6400ppi is only actually able to resolve detail at 2300ppi.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2012, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobby1961 View Post
I am wondering, a year after the last post on this subject, has anyone solved the problem? I am looking to buy a flatbed scanner which I am able to scan several 3" X 4" glass negatives plus also the more usual 35mm film and carded slides. I was looking at the Canon 9000f. Can anyone advise me please.
It is possible to scan any negatives with Canon 8800F without the templates. Just lay the negatives on the glass (obviously under the upper light source strip) and use the Canon Scangear scanner driver software (MP Navigator Ex - Film then check the box on the left just above the big "Scan" button "use scanner driver").

Set your resolution, negative film etc then do your prescan. When the message comes "can't detect film" or whatever, click the symbol very top left (a sort of film and frame icon). This just gives you the raw picture of the light strip with the film as blank shadow on it. Probably with a small selection field hovering somewhere. When you draw a selection field in the area where the film is, suddenly the picture will appear. Don't select outside the picture, that makes the exposure go funny.

I find the Canon software extremely good, extremely versatile, presumably the 9000 is equally so. Photoshop Elements also integrates the Canon driver no problem and can save 48 bit color scans. Scanvue is OK and can also do 48 Bit colour scans. The Canon driver obviously supports that but the MP Navigator software apparently cannot save 48 bit scans. I hate Silverfast.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware