RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

help..Epson870 not comp with winXP??

Old 07-17-2002, 11:06 AM

Well I just got off the phone with Epson and I'm more than a little disappointed and with them.

The repair guy on the phone told me:
the ink cartridge light is flashing (it was NOT just before I unplugged it to pack it) so he wants to charge me for 2 new cartridges.

He said the paper feed is broken! This problem did NOT exist at all when I packed it to send or I most certainly would have menioned it in the letter.

And.. they say the print head must be replaced.. which WAS the original issue. This particular LEMON has globbed ink on everything since it was only a few months old. They fixed it once (did not replace print head.. only "adjusted" it but the problem was back within a month. Now they say too bad for me it's out of warranty and they want $170 to fix it. The supervisor argued that this is a "very good deal". I said that was a bit hard to take.. $400 cdn for a printer that only works ok for less than one year. Basically, the supervisor's response was that's life.

The bottom line is if I don't pay $170 I get my printer back as is.. apparently in even worse shape than when I sent it to them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2002, 05:09 AM

Was any further progress made with the printer ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2002, 05:38 AM
Janitor

How long is your printer cord? I had trouble with my 1270 in XP (basically the same printer, just bigger), and tracked it down to my too-generous cord length (I was running it in parallel mode).

I switched over to a shorter USB cable and one or the other fixed it fine.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2002, 09:03 PM

Actually, out of desperation and much urging from the supervisor at Epson repairs in Toronto I did end up paying the $170 + 15% tax and for a grand total of just over $600 cdn invested in this thing. (not including all the wasted photo paper and ink). I now have an outdated chronicly problematic printer that STILL doesn't work right.

I have a 6 ft USB cable. Even tried switching it. We created a new spooler as recommended. I have the correct driver from epson.com. I have all the settings correct and verified time and time again. All other periferals on my computer work beautifully so it's not the computer or windows as Epson suggests. I even have an Epson 2450 scanner which is a dream (so far). The few times in the life of this 870 printer that it DID work correctly, the prints were very satisfactory. So much so that I highly recommended it to several others who consequently bought the same machine. Mine has been useless since it was 6 months old. They did "fix" it once when it was 13 months old but all they did was tweek the print head. About a month (and 4 prints) later it was back to blobbing ink on everything. Foolishly I was patient (or exasperated) and did not call Epson right away. When I finally did call they said send it to us.. I did. Once they had it ... suddenly the paper feed was broken too. (it wasn't when I packed it) and they now offered to change the print head and fix the suddenly malfunctioning feed for $170.

Just got it back on Tuesday. Now the ink blobbing issue "seems" to be gone but it is printing gibberish and ruining reems of paper. If the cost was not such an issue for me I would derrive great satisfaction from holding a demolition derby on this EPSON PRINTER FROM HELL.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2002, 09:11 PM

Oh and one more thing while I'm ranting here.. the repair supervisor guy assured me several times that included in that repair fee is a new warranty of 90 days more.

I called Epson tech support today. They flat refused to help me unless I gave a credit card number and paid a 9.95 fee.

I told him I feel I have invested enough it this thing now. thank you, but goodbye.

Instead I wrote an email to the "free" tech support at the website.

-end of rant-
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2002, 10:37 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
What in the world is going on? I think Epson has two types of phone contact. One is free, but you have to wait your turn, which is sometimes quite long. The other is the $9.95 they asked for, but you get quick technical support. I can't promise you that it's that way, but that's the way I remember it. I hope you can get this thing taken care of. You've been through quite a lot with it. After paying for the service, if it's still not right, tell them that you want a refurbished machine. You could have bought one of those for under $100.00 (U.S.). I wish you'd have let us know what you were going to do before you did it.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2002, 11:41 PM

A refurbished 870 for $100 usd????

eeeessh

don't tell me any more. I can't stand it. I told the guy I felt $170 was an awful lot to fix and old and troubled machine which in MY opinion should have lasted me more than a year anyways. He was adamant that it was a "great deal".

Let's see.. $100 usd = $158. cdn.. still cheaper than what I paid to have my horrible one fixed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2002, 10:12 PM

When you uninstalled the Drivers and the printer, did you do so in Safe Mode?
You might try starting in Safe Mode, uninstalling all printers listed and drivers, then restarting. Sometimes using the regular uninstall wont quite do the trick...you might find that when you use "safe mode" there may be more than one printer listed..if so delete them all. Also, if you had another printer installed, check while in SM that all drivers for it were uninstalled...if not delete them as well...Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2002, 10:46 PM

thanks Thomas.. I will try it
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware