RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

help..Epson870 not comp with winXP??

Old 07-07-2002, 04:35 PM

help..Epson870 not comp with winXP??

gosh I hope someone here can help me

I have just convered to Win XP and all seemed happy and harmonious... 2450 Scanner and XP got along fine, tablet, etc.

It "said" the Epson 870 printer driver (from Epson.com) for XP was installed fine.. but when I try to print to it, I get 2-3 lines of gibberish nonsense on each sheet of paper and that's it.. sheet after sheet after sheet after shee..

I tried using the WinXP driver, I tried deleting it completely, uninstalll, reboot, get new copy, do it again. Went through that several times to no avail. It's like suddenly my 870 is from another planet.

Anyone else encountered this?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2002, 04:44 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Yes I have. I'll tell you what to do for $2000.00. For some reason, this happens every so often. I think you need to uninstall everything for the 870, then re-install it. It only takes a few minutes, butI had to do that on two or three occasions. I always keep the new downloaded file in case I need it again in the future. Good luck. A side note...make sure you have the Epson driver activated instead of the Windows driver.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2002, 08:31 PM

Thanks Ed! Got it printing away perfectly again.

Now the sound doesn't work .. no sound on puter at all. arrrgghhh
"It's always something." -Gilda Radner's granma

Your check is in the mail.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2002, 09:48 PM

You're welcome. Sorry, but I can't help with the sound.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2002, 09:55 PM

well nevermind.. I fixed it.

Can't live without music
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2002, 10:35 AM

Well I spoke too fast. The Epson printed ONE sheet and then went crazy again.

I'm not sure what you meant Ed by "uninstall everything for the 870".

I have completely unistalled the drivers approx 9 times in the past few days. Every time I reinstall the driver then turn on the machine, WinXP adds it's own driver like it doesn't see the one I put. It shows up that I have 2 printers. I always select the Epson driver one but it still doesn't print right.

This printer has been a nightmare from the get-go. It glops ink all over the place. I have sent it back to Epson once.. they fixed it.. sent it back.. it was back to glopping ink within one week. I'm very ready to throw it out the window. It has ruined more sheets of expensive paper than the *$#&@)* printer is worth. Kept customers waiting.. it's so unreliable.

Does anyone know of a GOOD alternate photo printer? Is it just me or do Epson printers give others this sort of grief?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2002, 11:49 AM

With Windows XP --- Click on Ctr'l Panel -- Add or remove programs -- There you should find Epson Printer Software. Click on it, then select "Remove". I *think* that will only remove the printer software, but leave the ink monitor intact. If you click on Epson Printer Software again, you should be able to remove the monitor software this time. I'm not sure this is necessary, but for the amount of time it takes, I remove this as well. Reinstall both files. It *should* work now. I've had very good service from my 870. If you send it in for repair, I'm pretty sure they just send you one that's already been repaired in place of the one you sent in. So even if you have problems again, it's not likely to be the same problem.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2002, 09:49 PM

Called Epson. After much testing we determined there is something physically wrong with this printer... the EXACT SAME problem I had before while it was still under warranty and they fixed it that time but now say the warranty is over so too bad for me.

Life of one $400 Epson 870 printer: 18 months

I whined and protested so finally the tech offered to submit my "case" to customer service. We shall see. Wish me luck.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2002, 09:54 PM

Tell them you planned on ordering one of their $900 printers at some point but are thinking twice about it now!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2002, 11:37 PM

Marie,

If you don't get a satisfactory answer, I suggest you ask to speak to a supervisor. No luck there either? Talk to their supervisor. Often times, you can do better with someone higher up. If nothing else, maybe they could make a deal with you by giving you a couple hundred off one of their better printers. It's sure worth a try, and it could be a win/win situation. They would rather you told 500 people here that they gave you a satisfactory answer, rather than to tell us they weren't interested in your case. Sorry to hear you've had so much trouble with it.

Ed
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware