RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Time for a new computer. Suggestions?

Old 05-15-2011, 10:39 AM
Patron

Re: Time for a new computer. Suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondPlatinum View Post
Could anybody suggest which Mac is the best if I am retouching in photoshop and rendering 3d images ..
If you're rendering 3D images and have the budget I'd recommend looking at a Mac that has dual-quadcores or dual-hexacores. Rendering eats up CPU like crazy so you need as much CPU as you can reasonably afford. Also, would look into a RAID-5 or RAID-0 configuration so your computer can read and write files to and from disk as quickly as possible as it needs to while the rendering is going on (depending on how much memory you have, the more the better).

Last edited by RobertAsh; 05-15-2011 at 10:58 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneappetit View Post
Hi DP:

If i understand your question well, I guess it is a matter of which is the best one you can afford. On the other hand, it also depends on the target you are after; work in the house, a laptop if you want to easily move your works, etc... Certain computer won't make you a better retoucher, but as a rule of thumb the huskier the elements of the computer the better... I mean a nice husky processor, video card, memory and disk, will surely work better than the smaller ones specially, if you often work with 3D images.
Thanks Boneappetit .. However if I am eyeing the I mac series what configuration should I go in for in terms of processor
http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html
Also Is I5 enough or one really needs the I7 to render jewellery images
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2011, 02:02 PM
Patron

Hi Diamond,

I really apologize BoneAppetit is right in what he's saying. I was thinking something a lot more giant when it came to rendering requirements, not everyone needs dual-quad or higher
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2011, 05:31 AM

thank you Boneappetit and Robert Ash but no need to apologise . Yet i am still confused .. Can either of you give me specs for a pc or mac which can be used for rendering mainly jewelry images and further retouching them.. If my budget is 1500$ ... Also I do agree tht spending a bomb wont make me a good retoucher however i need something good to start with to get fast and good renders
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2011, 06:33 AM
Patron

Hi Diamond,

I don't know of how much help I can be. I don't do 3D or 2D animation rendering, which is what comes to my mind personally when I hear that word "rendering". I do know that animation rendering uses lots of CPU..... The only rendering I do is using a few Photoshop filters (like Smart Sharpening using High Radius, Low Amount) which take up CPU.

But honestly I'm not a retoucher, I'm a photographer who uses Photoshop a lot. My budget is a bit higher than $1500 (it's typically $1800-2200) but I buy Microsoft Office Business Edition and Windows 64-bit Ultimate, which together boost the price several hundreds of dollars.

For $1500 I'd recommend going to the Apple, HP and Dell sites and seeing what you can buy for a comfortable budget. I only use PCs myself, and with PCs you get more for your money (RAM, cpu, disk, etc.), and recently HP seems to give you more for your dollar than Dell does (I've been on both sites in the past few weeks comparing).

But Macs seem to use resources more efficiently nowadays than PCs, and are easier to use and work better right out of the box. PCs can take a lot more work to get them working smoothly.

For what you'll be doing I don't know enough to help you make tradeoffs like RAM, disk, memory, graphics cards, your familiarity with computers and software, and your need for ease of use. As a starter I'd make a blind guess and say (for a PC):
  • quad-core cpu (hexacore would be 50% faster but would probably add too much cost right now).
  • 12 GB RAM if you can (8-10 GB if you can't)
  • 1 GB graphics card (nVideo or ATI)
But again, that's a blind guess. Someone else here could probably guide you better.

Regarding CPU, don't worry too much about getting the fastest gigahertz (GHz). Manufacturers can charge large premiums for those last few MHz (megahertz, 1/1000 of a GHz).

For instance, 3.4 GHz can cost a lot more than 3.0 GHz but it's only 13% faster. So subtract that from your expected rendering time. If your rendering time is 10 hrs, then 13% makes a big difference (over one hour). If your rendering time is 10 minutes or 5 minutes, then 13% makes little difference (just over a minute or half a minute) and is likely not worth the extra cost. Unless you really do a lot of rendering jobs back to back - then that 30 seconds or 1 minute can add up over time. But only you know what your workload will likely be.

My filter renderings take a couple/few minutes at most, never as long as 10 minutes that I remember. So I buy 1-2 steps down from the top of the CPU scale -- and use the extra money to buy more memory or a RAID-0 disk configuration or Microsoft Office or a better graphics card.

Hope that helps some, and hope others here can weigh in with better specifics of what you really need (my intuition says more memory and a better graphics card but others here who do more of that work can guide you better).

Sorry for the long note but I try to be really careful when people are spending hard-earned money on a limited budget.

Last edited by RobertAsh; 05-17-2011 at 06:40 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware