RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

13" Macbook pro, good enough?

Old 05-14-2011, 08:00 AM

13" Macbook pro, good enough?

Hi, I'm fairly new to photography and recently got a Canon Rebel T2i. I have a really old pc (Still running on Pentium 4) and naturally it cannot handle 18 megapixels RAW images that well. It constantly stutters with even the simple task and sometimes doesn't run some plugins at all (I use CS5 and LR 3).
I was thinking of getting a new 13" macbook pro (the fastest config) but since I don't know anyone that has one I don't know if it's fast enough to handle some moderate editing o n CS5 with my RAW files.
I don't really care about the screen size because I'm going to hook it up to my 24" screen.
So what would you guys suggest me get that one/save up for a faster 15 incher or buy a windows laptop? And why?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2011, 03:20 PM

Re: 13" Macbook pro, good enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by otherw1s3 View Post
Hi, I'm fairly new to photography and recently got a Canon Rebel T2i. I have a really old pc (Still running on Pentium 4) and naturally it cannot handle 18 megapixels RAW images that well. It constantly stutters with even the simple task and sometimes doesn't run some plugins at all (I use CS5 and LR 3).
I was thinking of getting a new 13" macbook pro (the fastest config) but since I don't know anyone that has one I don't know if it's fast enough to handle some moderate editing o n CS5 with my RAW files.
I don't really care about the screen size because I'm going to hook it up to my 24" screen.
So what would you guys suggest me get that one/save up for a faster 15 incher or buy a windows laptop? And why?
Hi, I do all of my Lightroom and Photoshop work on my Macbook Pro 13" (2010), I haven't had any problems, in fact I am glad I abandoned my PC, this little Macbook Pro is faster and performs better than my old Alienware! Do I wish I had a better screen? Yes, but I am doing just fine now. Do I wish I had better hardware? No, not for photography, though I would like better graphics so that I can play more games but other than that for photographers the MBP 13" is great. The good thing is you can take it with you where ever you go! It's very flat as well which IMO is great!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2011, 09:17 AM

Re: 13" Macbook pro, good enough?

The hardware is fine, the display, not so much. If you can do the color critical work on an external display, which the Macbook will drive, so much the better. In either case, calibrate both but keep in mind, even with calibration on the Macbook, that display is just so-so, low gamut etc.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware