Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Which colour profile for my MBP screen?

Old 05-24-2011, 08:34 AM
Which colour profile for my MBP screen?

Unfortunately I can't calibrate right now because I can't afford the spyder thingy for now. Should I leave the screen on default or should I select adobeRGB among the available profiles? Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2011, 08:55 AM
Re: Which colour profile for my MBP screen?

Personally I prefer it straight outta the box - Apple do a pretty good calibration from the factory.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2011, 10:37 PM

you can also do a software calibration. i believe both paint shop pro and photoshop have something for that built into them. there are also websites that provide decent calibration charts. we even have one here on RP at the top of this page. it's somewhat simple, but hey, if you havent got anything else...
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2011, 12:14 AM

What your get with your MBP right out of the box may be good enough. Also, under System Preferences on your dock select Displays and when the next dialog box pops up click on "Color". You should get a another dialog similar to this:

Screen shot 2011-06-06 at 12.08.36 AM.png

There is a calibrate button you can check that will walk you through a calibration. Clearly not as good as using real equipment to do the calibration yet thought you would want to know about these options.

Personally, trying to do good color editing on MBP or other notebook screens is problematic. Mostly because their vertical angle of view is most often very limited. Just move the angle of the screen on its hinge relative to your viewing point and you will see that the color can shift quite a bit. So be sure to view the screen when you do the calibration at the same angle that you will be doing editing (not easy to do or remember). Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware