RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

NECPA271W / 6-core / 2nd display

Old 05-27-2011, 08:55 PM

Re: NECPA271W / 6-core / 2nd display

Thanks, I think I've tried this but I'll try it again to test it out, without the icc profile, just to see what happens. Actually I'm not having a problem any longer with the way my photos look on the web regardless of which monitor it's mainly those of some of those from others when viewed from the NEC. Appreciate your thoughts on the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertAsh View Post
In Photoshop, have you tried:
  • Edit > Convert to Profile > sRGB IEC61966-2.1
You should be able to see your image get bland, flattened and otherwise less interesting right before your very eyes

As you can tell, I don't like its effect at all, but it does for me save for the web or export to a JPEG that doesn't change radically after that sRGB conversion. And it views in a browser just fine, as far as browser viewing goes.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2011, 05:30 PM

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts, advice and corroborating anecdotes! I did purchase a DVI to mini-DV adapter from my friendly neighborhood Apple store. I was UN-able to connect the Dell, which I could not wake up from Power Save mode once connected. Would like to figure out how to resolve THAT little issue, since I may be stuck with the Dell. Meantime I have connected my old Cinema as my 2nd display, using the adapter and going into the 6-core's mini DV port.

My viewing conditions are not ideal but we do have a portable viewing booth that I will borrow to match to press samples. Thanks Andrew. Problem there is I retouch files as much for the web as for print. I suppose I could use their "Photo Editing" preset as a base and create a second profile that previews print more accurately (though I'm not keen on switching back and forth all the time).

When I unpacked the NEC a few weeks back I basically calibrated right out of the box and, even though I had the display on for several hours before calibrating, I got a message saying the display had not been sufficiently warmed up for the most accurate calibration. I calibrated today and got the same message. Frustrating. I am also still wondering about the NEC's OSD settings and whether or not I can or should (and how as well) try to dial the display in from there before calibrating. I have yet to check out all the options there. If anyone out there have tweaked those dials and pushed those buttons I'd like to hear what you've discovered.

Since I hooked up the Apple Cinema as my second display I have noticed that the Apple is sharper and displays richer blacks. This may just mean I need to get my parameters tweaked optimally on the NEC. Unfortunately I have production work to do!! It's a little unnerving to have them side -by-side rendering color, whites and neutral grays very differently.

It's funny how "standards" change. I spent many years in the print industry where 5000K and Gamma 1.8 reigned supreme. It has tilted over the past few years to 6500K and Gamma 2.2. I guess I have followed these standards because I figured people much smarter and more experienced than me have been making these judgements based on changing technology. Maybe it's more arbitrary then that!

Just curious to know if anyone has used NEC's Customer Support and, if so, were they helpful. That's my next move.

Still struggling but thanks again for all the valuable feedback!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2011, 06:52 PM

I had to fiddle with mine a bit to get the Dell monitor to come on - plugged and unplugged things a few times and then all of a sudden - poof, there it was. Since then I've had something happen like a sudden power outage (rural power systems, not quite as bad as Baghdad but some days....) and when I turned the computer back on the Dell did not seem to be working. I've found by shutting down, unplugging the Dell from the Mac, replugging it back in and then turning the computer, logging back into the Mac it would start working. Of course nothing happened until I logged in. You may have already tried all of this or variations on the theme, if so, never mind :-)

My friend did try using Customer Support several times and as I understand it they weren't too difficult to reach. I believe she did it totally by email rather than phone. You might give that a try to see what happens.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2011, 10:04 AM

Thanks.I'll try fiddling.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware