RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Is it just me?

Old 06-04-2011, 04:57 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Re: Is it just me?

The plot thickens. I fired up my MacBook Pro, launched W7, checked for updates (it was all up to date), shut W7 down, copied the VM file to an external drive and replaced the one on my desktop with it. Same update issues! Weird... There are no other copies of the VM around. This is a stumper.

Whatever, I don't need to fire up Windows too often anyway. And it's good on my other Macs.

Hope you enjoyed my tale! ;-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2011, 01:44 AM

Why not use bootcamp and install Windows on another partition of the same Mac harddisk? There is also VMware software to use Windows on Mac, give it a try if you can find/afford it.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2011, 01:58 AM
Patron

Hi Tareq, when we used Windows in my labs for one particular app I had Boot Camp set up (you'd be surprised how complicated pressing "Option" while rebooting was for some people!). For myself, I don't like the reboot inconvenience since I often do screenshots and examples in Windows and immediately get them back on the Mac for editing in PS and posting on the web. But maybe I can try that again for my own computer.

I'm happy with Parallels and it edges out VMWare in reviews. V6 is very fast, an improvement over v5 which isn't bad either. I keep downloading the free VirtualBox but haven't tried it yet.

Fun fact: Our university hands out MacBooks that run only Windows for faculty and staff who want them-! Got a good deal on older white models, I guess.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugsnpixels View Post
Hi Tareq, when we used Windows in my labs for one particular app I had Boot Camp set up (you'd be surprised how complicated pressing "Option" while rebooting was for some people!). For myself, I don't like the reboot inconvenience since I often do screenshots and examples in Windows and immediately get them back on the Mac for editing in PS and posting on the web. But maybe I can try that again for my own computer.

I'm happy with Parallels and it edges out VMWare in reviews. V6 is very fast, an improvement over v5 which isn't bad either. I keep downloading the free VirtualBox but haven't tried it yet.

Fun fact: Our university hands out MacBooks that run only Windows for faculty and staff who want them-! Got a good deal on older white models, I guess.
I see, well, i will see if i should go with Parallel then.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2011, 04:11 PM
Patron

My own Parallels screenshots here. It's fun and easy running several VMs (usually-! ;-) ).
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2011, 12:01 AM

plugs,

i'd be very suspicious at this point of a hardware failure, most likely a drive going bad or at least sectors gone bad. i'd be backing everything on that drive up right now! i dont know what kind of error messages you were getting on the updates, but i do know that when a drive starts going bad you can get all sorts of very weird things going on, including writing to the drive with verification that you have written to the drive and there will be nothing written to the drive in actuality.

if you have any diagnostic tools for checking your drive(s), i'd utilize them now. such a program may or may not reveal anything, but if you've got a large number of bad sectors, your drive is running slowly or it shows it being nearly full when you know it's not, or nearly empty when you know it's not, those would be some things to look for. however, it could be something completely not seen by a diagnostic also. the most common problem with harddrives is the motors. these are generally warranted for 10,000 hours. thus, if you're a heavy user and have had your drive for 2 to 3 years already, it could be going bad.

one fairly good way to tell if the drive is going bad is that more and more errors and weird things will start happening to your system. it can start very small and just keep getting worse and worse. if you start to see that sort of thing then you've either got a drive going bad, a motherboard going bad (much less common) or a possible virus.

and that last one is starting to show up on macs more and more now. it's still not very prevalent, but i'd start looking for a bit of protection on a mac system these days.

if you're copying one vm module over from another system and it's working fine on that other system but shows problems on the new one, you've either got a conflict going somewhere (software usually), you're short of space and the module is dropping things out on you, or you've got a hardware failure starting somewhere and that's usually a harddrive. it could also be a resource management issue, like not enough ram to properly run parallels in its current configuration, but i suspect not from what you've described.

anyways, hope you figure it out
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2011, 12:56 AM
Patron

Thanks Craig, interesting points! My VM is merely a single 19.29 gig file in a folder on my iMac's internal HD; this drive is Verified as of this moment by SMARTReporter. I'm having some other weirdness with Parallels in that I can't seem to get Shared Folders between OS's working.

Since I deleted and rewrote the entire VM from another source, it probably didn't end up in the same place on the HD so I don't suspect bad sectors. And the computer is only from late 2009, and wasn't used immediately.

Windows is not critical on this Mac but merely a convenience, and except for the update issue it is working fine (I can still install and run other Windows apps, etc.). It's just really weird that copying the VM didn't work; it usually does.

I'll have to see if I can upgrade Parallels or perhaps try another alternative.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2011, 07:31 PM
Patron

Update: Today I decided to try the free VirtualBox and all went well! I started with XP SP2, didn't run updates and went immediately to the Windows 7 (32-bit) update DVD. Installs went very quickly.

I had minor issues with wireless networking and screen resolution but Google brought me joy. Updates all installed, no errors (but I did get fooled yet again by the IE9 dialog-behind-the-dialog trick where you have to move the main updates window out of the way to see where you need to click Install – that is so stupid!).

I wasn't able to install the Windows 7 64-bit upgrade DVD over the 32-bit one, though I must have done that successfully in Parallels, whether from within XP or W7 32-bit I don't recall. The Setup exe wouldn't run in a 32-bit environment. Ideas? I didn't try booting directly from the update DVD; how do you do that?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware