RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Is it just me?

Old 06-04-2011, 12:27 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Angry Is it just me?

I'm a Mac user and run Windows 7 via VM under Parallels Desktop. Mac users may find my experiences below amusing, Windows users moreso! Don't mind me, just read and enjoy and be thankful it's not you:

So here I am running my Windows updates, which were repeatedly failing on two out of the three Important Updates. After a few tries I seemed to be making progress.

When Windows Update got to the point where it was installing IE9, the dialog just sat there. And sat there. I had forgotten I experienced this before on another machine, and I couldn't believe the solution.

What happens is (and this is Microsoft genius!), the dialog where you have to actually click Install appears UNDER/BEHIND the Windows update window where you can't see it! Now THAT is security!

I only discovered this when getting impatient and dragging the Windows Update window aside for some reason.

Amazing.

Also, the dialog says there are 3 important updates, then proceeded to install 2 out of 2 (??).

PS: The updates failed again (two error codes this time)... Maybe I need to reinstall Windows, ha! All this just to do some Windows-only product screenshots.

Last edited by plugsnpixels; 06-04-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2011, 12:32 PM
Patron

Re: Is it just me?

Oh, and when you do run updates and need to restart, an error screen comes up saying Windows Update still needs to quit before restarting-!! Am I the victim of punking or do people actually tolerate this sort of thing on a daily basis?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2011, 12:46 PM
Patron

"Installing update 2 of 2..." "Failed: 3 updates" Is this MS math?? And what happened to update 1? In order to get to 2 it must have installed 1 already, no?

"Get help with this error" (a specific code). I click and get the generic "Troubleshoot problems with installing updates". Since there is a specific error code, I would like to read about that specific problem...

Manually downloading the standalone updater for the Daylight Savings Time issue did not work either.

I give up. I may just have to do without IE9 and security updates after all.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2011, 12:59 PM
Patron

Oh I see, when you SHUT DOWN Windows, then it gets in the installing mood! 1 down, 2 to go... No, wait: I had unchecked one of the three while troubleshooting. Still failing for all 3. So what installed when I shut down? Who knows!

Does Microsoft offer therapy-?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2011, 01:43 PM
Patron

I discovered the Windows Update troubleshooter. It fixed my Windows Update components. The updates still fail (!).

The Control Panel says, "Find additional information related to the Windows problem.">Search Help and Support. I do (by clicking on the link). 0 results... Thanks MS!

I go to search the MS website for help (by following a link from the Windows Help and Support dialog). The website has a big orange box that says "Internet Explorer 9 is here". You think I could install that? Oh, never mind, it already failed!

I notice the search field on the website is not pre-populated with my inquiry, so I will type one of the update error codes in now... "80070bc9". "No search results found."

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!

These same updates worked on my other systems, so I know this is technically possible. If I hadn't wasted over an hour of my life today this would be funny.

Maybe MS can use my tagline when they go to promote Windows 8: "It's not an OS, it's a POS"...
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2011, 01:59 PM
Patron

Well plugsnpixels quite a tale of woe and even a rant maybe . I can honestly sympathise with your plight, however...........

I am not a Mac user but rather a die hard PC user. I do however recognise that Mac have their dedicated and staunch advocates and it is a fine platform. Unfortunately there does seem to be a tendency to blame MS for any woes that befall us either Mac or PC user. Maybe the blame does fall squarely on MS shoulders but on the other hand.....

I am certainly not one to defend MS or any other company but I think that it must be realised that third party providers for instance VM/Parallels may have their own issues if not following MS recommendations - I have seen this before with updates and other third party Windows applications that did not follow the MS rules.

Maybe worth checking if others are having issues like yours and if it is proved to be MS issue or other
Quote:
Parallels Build 5582. I can get Build 5160 to do Windows Update, but not Build 5582

I also doubt that either Microsoft or Apple will be too interested in trying to solve problems with a competitors system

Last edited by Tony W; 06-04-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2011, 02:02 PM
Patron

Since the MS website offered, I'll try downloading IE9 manually, why not. I choose to run the file. Another dialog pops up (security warning): "Do you want to run this file?" Did I not already answer that?

Oh-oh, "Internet Explorer needs an update before installing. Go online and install the required update..." Oh my.

"Known Issues
You may receive an error message when you try to install Windows Internet Explorer 9. Installation problems can have different causes. For more information about how to solve these problems, visit the following Microsoft website:
2409098 How to solve Internet Explorer 9 installation problems"

So maybe it's not me? Or do I first need MSCE certification? It's possible IE needs other updates first, but I can't install those either.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2011, 02:09 PM
Patron

Hi Tony! Thanks for your reply. I actually work in higher ed IT and have seen both sides of the OS equation, but am thankful to be supporting Macs and not PCs. We have some international student assistants who are quite adept at that (they help keep our Windows Server 2003 print revenue systems working, when a reboot doesn't help – I can do that myself ;-) ).

On this machine at home I am using Parallels 5; in the office I have v6 which is just fine. v5 is usually fine too, so I don't suspect these problems are related to it specifically. My office iMac and MacBook Pro run and update Windows 7 (and Ubuntu Linux) with no issues. I don't know what's going on here, but it really shouldn't be this hard...

The nice thing about Parallels is I can easily copy the updated v5 VM from another computer and replace this troublesome copy.

Last edited by plugsnpixels; 06-04-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2011, 02:29 PM
Patron

Hi PnP, seems we have shared a similar background I have worked in a medical imaging environment with literally hundreds of user over WAN requiring 24/7 365 days access to millions of images - all on a Windows platform. The reason I mention this is to show that I can attest to some of the foibles of both MS and third party vendors. For instance I have seen a couple of ocassions when after an enterprise wide automatic update all users machines refused to function i.e. until a rollback was performed to previous state! This lead the company I worked for to issue instructions that updates should only be applied after they confirmed no issues. I can only assume that the main application was ammended to cope with the updates.

I agree that it 'shouldn't be this hard' but it just seems strange that you have several other systems that do not have the issues!
Wish I could be of help but frankly I do not even know where to begin with this due to lack of experience with your platform
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2011, 02:40 PM
Patron

That's heavy support, Tony! I've got 4 labs in a local area with a total of 89 27 "iMacs (when I started in '98 there were beige Mac 8500s!). Plus other older iMacs throughout the same building.

I haven't had any major issues that I can recall over the years, and I run OS and app updates over the network pretty quickly. I will however hold off on OSX Lion because 1) it will be brand new this summer and 2) we don't have wireless mice or trackpads, thus rendering the whole "iOS" experience on the desktop moot. Of course *I* will run it on at least one of my own computers to get familiar with it.

And no worries, I am not really seeking technical help with this Windows problem. I just thought it made a good story ;-). And I don't have a blog set up, so I thought I'd share it with my friends here.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware