Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

2Ti + MacBook Pro: Keeping Cool in Car?

Old 06-24-2011, 06:25 PM
2Ti + MacBook Pro: Keeping Cool in Car?

I've yet to even take my newer 15" MacBook Pro or my T2i in the car, let alone leave it in the car, for fear of heat issues, but was I looking for a safe way to transport these.

I attend a lot of auctions where I may have to stay for hours at a time. I'd like to take my equipment to do work before, after, or during lulls in the auction activity so I'll need a way to store these in the car safely.

I keep all my equipment individually packaged for impact protection so I am looking to either put everything in one large container or a couple containers.

My first thought was perhaps a large heavy duty insulated cooler that you typically use for camping. Of course, I won't be putting ice in it so its ability to keep things cool is likely limited unless I can find something as a substitute for the ice normally used.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Hopefully the solution is not some $1 million NASA project, LOL.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2011, 10:24 AM
Re: 2Ti + MacBook Pro: Keeping Cool in Car?

You can check the spec storage temperature of your equipment. Max storage temp for MacBook Pro is 113F. Putting it in some insulated container of any sort designed for that should do the trick. If you are concerned, just freeze one of those freezable gel packs and stick it in the cooler as well. Just be careful about condensation issues. If you computer is too cool and you bring it out into a very humid climate, you could get internal condensation which would be bad. Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2011, 12:57 PM
Re: 2Ti + MacBook Pro: Keeping Cool in Car?

Thanks for for time.

I had though about those gel packs before too, but was concerned about the sweating. I do see some brands made for industrial use claim to be sweat resistant and such; however, I think a better strategy might be put the gel packs into a smaller container inside the cooler. The right small container would keep the moisture in, but still release its coolness into the larger container. The key would be so find the right inner container that would release its coolness at the right rate so as to compensate for the outside tmep trying to get inside the outer container.

Probably best to do some long term exposure experimentation with thermometers and humidity sensors - one of those inexpensive temp, barometer, & moisture combo units you see hanging on the wall or placed on a desk.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware