RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

the Ipad2, a small review and critique

Old 07-29-2011, 04:05 PM

Re: the Ipad2, a small review and critique

ok, i forgot that i actually have a photoshop app on the ipad2. it's called photoshop express. it's pretty basic stuff, crop, contrast, brightness, straighten, rotate, flip, exposure, saturation tint, black and white, sketch, soft focus, sharpen, reduce noise, and some effects and borders. no layers or anything, but at whatever i paid for it (less than $5), it's a decent app. just dont expect the full blown photoshop.

there are some tutorials for cs5. there's also a PSD file viewer app, but the only actual program for editing i see is photoshop express. i'm a little surprised by this.

i specifically checked for Elements. there's something there for Elements 8 and 9, but it's in german or something and has someone else's name on it than adobe, so i'm guessing that's another tutorial app. as i find interesting things and try them out, i'll post more.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2011, 04:15 PM
Janitor

http://www.photoshop.com/products/mobile/nav
http://www.photoshop.com/products/mobile/eazel
http://www.photoshop.com/products/mobile/colorlava
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2011, 05:27 AM

If you are on Mac you should be able to set up sharing within your public folder via wifi ... (System Preferences - File Sharing on)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2011, 01:45 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeretouch View Post
If you are on Mac you should be able to set up sharing within your public folder via wifi ... (System Preferences - File Sharing on)
I've got File Sharing on and see other desktops on the home network but not the iPad. What else must be done?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugsnpixels View Post
I've got File Sharing on and see other desktops on the home network but not the iPad. What else must be done?
Use dropbox, 2GB free.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2011, 06:19 PM

thank you for those links, doug! i went ahead and downloaded eazel. i also ordered one of these: http://www.nomadbrush.com/ . i bought the long tip original. i'll let you know how it works when it gets here.

i also found artrage on the apple apps store and bought it. i think it was $4.99 or $5.99. it's the full deal, not a lite version. i was a bit surprised to find it, especially at that price. somehow it's seems a little less intuitive than the pc version, but that could be that my pc version isnt the full version.

so, here's my next warning to folks. these apps are cheap, relatively speaking, and as such you can end up spending a ton of money, thinking, oh, i'm not spending that much on this one. after buying 20 of those... lol.

plugs, i'm not sure what else must be done. there is no 'system preferences' on the ipad2, nor any 'public folder' that i can see. wi-fi is built in, however and there's a reference to cs5 and being able to connect directly to cs5 from the ipad2. i think it's the nav app that does this (the one doug linked to). i would think that if you have a router and your ipad2 and pc are both linked through there, you shld be able to communicate somehow, but that may be a router setting or maybe something internal to the pc or ipad2 or both... not sure. but, if i could link directly to my pc from the ipad2 that would certainly make file transfers easier. i'd have a little wi-fi lan.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2011, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugsnpixels View Post
I don't think you will be able to see iPad from your computer. But you should be able to see your computer from iPad. If you open System Preferences and highlight File Sharing (on the computer) it will give you an IP address you will need to connect to. I tried this with iPhone and it was working. But I don't remember if I used preferences on iPhone or downloaded a dedicated application ... It was working with PDF files and it was pretty fast.

Edit:

I found this link, perhaps it helps: http://www.macworld.com/article/1598...transfers.html

Last edited by creativeretouch; 07-31-2011 at 04:37 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2011, 11:23 PM

Craig - when I first started using my iPod Touch, I emailed my photos and videos created on the iPod to myself so I could use them on my computer - not the best solution but workable. I don't understand you having trouble viewing the images - the iPod creates jpg photo files and .mov video files which are easily viewed. In fact, they are viewable on the iPod (which is basically a small iPad as far as I understand) by Windows Explorer in the DCIM folder within the device which shows up along with my hard drives/card reader drives under My Computer. I've read that the iPad works this way also.

It's been a while since I added most of the photos on my iPod from my computer (my main interest - so that I could show them to people when I'm visiting away from home), but I remember syncing them via ITunes and was able to sync a bunch of them once I figured out how to do it. ITunes isn't my favorite software, either, but I'm not sure why it's on so many people Hate List. To make the moving of photo files easier back/forth from the IOS devices, there are apps available that match up to software that runs on the PC - two of them (one free and the other $1.99) are Cinq Photo and PhotoSync. You have to create an account (free, but bothersome) for each of them, but that's SOP for most apps. I only have tried Cinq Photo a couple of times, but it doesn't seem to offer as much as PhotoSynch - but I may have missed its functions. It was mentioned on iPad Today, a podcast by Leo LaPorte and Sarah Lane - which brings up one of my favorite things about the new devices - video podcasts and other video educational content. Although now I prefer to watch them on my TV while being streamed from my Apple TV device.
I watch iPad Today each week (along with TWIT Photo, KelbyTV 's numerous shows and others etc.) I could watch them on my desktop, on my iPod or on my tv. I signed up for Kelby Training and use the iPod app to stream to my Apple TV to my TV. The new world is cool !! Not perfect, but cool.

Leo says if you add Go to My PC to your iPad - it will let you do everything you do on your desktop on your iPad - I haven't confirmed that yet.

Some might find this guy's article of interest:
http://maketecheasier.com/can-ipad-t...ter/2011/07/20
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2011, 12:33 AM

CJ,

when i first tried to download pictures from the ipad2 to the pc, all i got were .ithmb file extension files that couldnt be read by anything i owned on the pc. and i got that by using itunes. apple, somewhere in all this mess, mentioned that the only thing that would read these files was Elements 8. well, that sucked. i'm not going out to buy a lesser program than cs2 just to read apple's goofy files. so, you say the ipad2 shld save its files in .jpeg, but it didnt seem to.

to try and fix this mess, i googled my problem and found out there's a lot of folks out there with the same problem and there were some workarounds but they involved a fair amount of pc command line work and i wasnt interested in that, either. this just seemed extremely goofy on apple's part. where were the ports for making this all a tiny bit easier?

so, i ordered that 5 in 1 reader. that will be here later in the coming week. in the meantime, i read creativeretouch's last post and remembered that my internet comes in to my router. i have wi-fi internet. i also realized that i shld be able to move files from one computer to another through a router, so i did a little exploring on the pc and found some help. it seems that if you turn on file streaming locally that one computer can read all your picture and music and videos from the other by using windows media player. so, i turned it on and with a little tweaking and fooling around, lo and behold, i found, on my pc, the pictures from the ipad2!

now, that seems like i've solved it, right? lol. i wish. if i scroll through all my thousands of picture files while connected to the ipad2, the ipad2 pictures seem to disappear. to get them to show again, i have to kill windows media player and find the ipad2 pictures again. lol. dont ask me why, that's just what happens. but, i can see them and they are now located in a folder on my pc and i can open them in paint shop pro!!

so, i'm not very savvy on network stuff. i've fumbled around with local networking in the past and managed to connect two pcs before for brief periods. i seem to also, now, seem to have managed to establish a nebulous wi-fi connection between the pc and the ipad2. it's quirky, but it's gotten me at least some of the pictures off the ipad2, those in the camera roll file. the other pics that i put on the ipad2 from the pc did NOT transfer back to the pc with the wifi connection, so there's still more to figure out here, but at least i got some results. lol.

they keep trying to make these things 'user friendly', but frankly we're a long ways off from 'computer, tea, hot, earl gray'

oh, and thank you, creativeretouch, for steering me closer to an overall solution
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2011, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin View Post
... remembered that my internet comes in to my router. i have wi-fi internet. i also realized that i shld be able to move files from one computer to another through a router, so i did a little exploring on the pc and found some help. it seems that if you turn on file streaming locally that one computer can read all your picture and music and videos from the other by using windows media player. so, i turned it on and with a little tweaking and fooling around, lo and behold, i found, on my pc, the pictures from the ipad2!

now, that seems like i've solved it, right? lol. i wish. if i scroll through all my thousands of picture files while connected to the ipad2, the ipad2 pictures seem to disappear. to get them to show again, i have to kill windows media player and find the ipad2 pictures again. lol. dont ask me why, that's just what happens. but, i can see them and they are now located in a folder on my pc and i can open them in paint shop pro!!
I guess there may be some differences between the ipod/ipad besides size, but I had thought that you had set up a wireless connection when you first got the iPad - it was just part of my initial setup of the iPod to connect to my wi-fi network. I didn't know that it would work without it. I have a desktop computer, a router bought in anticipation of the iPod, and a netbook on my wi-fi network and the iPod is attached to that to pick up the internet, the news/weather and other things including the Apps Store at iTunes so that I can download my new apps. Have you taken hundreds of photos with your iPad?! I have take some with the iPod but mostly just to try it out. I have used the video function which is pretty good, but too wide angle for my tastes. As I said, most of the photos on my iPod are uploads from my computer so that I can have them with me like a photo wallet.

Good luck with your solutions.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware