RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

the Ipad2, a small review and critique

Old 08-01-2011, 09:02 AM

Re: the Ipad2, a small review and critique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin View Post
oh, and thank you, creativeretouch, for steering me closer to an overall solution
you are welcome, Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2011, 03:45 PM

Export from Lightroom to your iPad or iPod - worked for me, even with the small memory in my iPod - I hadn't set up album folders before, and I like it.

http://lightroomsecrets.com/2010/07/...ith-lightroom/

...In the Export Location section choose Specific Folder for the Export To value. Click the Choose button and find the folder you created above. Now check the Put In Subfolder checkbox and enter the name for your album in the field. In the File Naming section set up any filename parameters you like. Leave the remainder of the settings in the preset as they are. Press the Export button.
Each album will assume the name of the folder you export the images to.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2011, 11:17 PM

ok, i got all the devices i ordered and all i can say is, i'm not going to review these things, apple is retarded and go buy a samsung or hp tablet. lol. none of this worked to download from the ipad2 to the pc. you still have to go through itunes and apple is both greedy and retarded. sorry, i dont usually call folks or companies names, but apple's decision to close thing up and isolate itself from the rest of the computing world is just retarded. apps that i bought from the apple store i cant download saved files to my pc and share them with others. this is just frustrating beyond belief. i love apple's innovations and creative nature, but their zenophobia is beyond belief. no one enters or leaves their universe and that's just retarded. the potential of this thing is wonderful... until you want to play outside the apple-verse and then it just closes itself off to everyone and everything outside itself. open the damn doors, apple! you've got a good product. let the world play!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2011, 12:24 AM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

The Hotel Applefornia!

Do you think the iCloud will help this situation any?

As for not being able to share apps (I think that's what you were describing), that's a means of fighting piracy (one must authenticate to the MAS to launch them). Of course people get around that, but it's an attempt on their part.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2011, 12:45 AM

no, i'm not referring to the apps themselves. i'm perfectly fine with them staying on the ipad2. it's the results of the apps or things captured with the ipad2 that i'm talking about. an example, i love garageband. this is a brilliant app! but, you cant export your work from it to anything that a pc can use by itself. you can export it to itunes as an itunes song, an AAC file, or as a garageband file that only itunes can play or another mac can play. so, this isnt a piracy issue if another mac can use it. this is an applefornia issue. that everything exported MUST go through itunes is just apple being apple. in fact, everything imported must also go through itunes. this is apple's way of saying you must buy apple and you must stay within the apple-verse to use anything apple, even files that you've created that shld be in standard formats.

and i do like your 'applefornia'
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2011, 12:53 AM
Patron

Ah. In the particular case of GB, it often helps to get it onto the Mac for further work anyway. Such as in this case:

I created the basis for this song backing in GB on the iPad (I do not sing so that part is missing, even though I wrote the song!) and dolled it up even further on the desktop using loops from the library and such.

But i think purchased apps other than GB might let you export straight to mp3 from the iPad.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2011, 01:11 AM

ok, i finally found out how to do it. it's not exactly straight forward. i used the export feature in GB and exported to itunes rather than garageband format. then i hooked up the ipad to the pc. this starts up the whole itunes sync thing. i didnt have to sync it. if you go to 'your ipad' and then pick 'apps' you have to scroll down and find where it says 'file sharing'. you may also have to turn on 'home sharing', i'm not sure on that part. once you find 'file sharing', below that it will show you what apps will share/export files. GB is one of them. you can then pick GB and it will show you what files you've got stored in GB and allow you to then 'save to...'. this wil save it to your pc. the file extension of the 'itunes' format is .m4a, which windows media player can read and play. sheesh, what a pain! lol.

ok, thanks for listening to my rant, plugs and for helping out
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2011, 01:13 AM

btw, nice song
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2011, 01:37 AM
Patron

Thanks!

I do agree, syncing is a bit convoluted. Even adding PDFs to the iPad to read is a pain. I want to just drag them from the Finder onto the iPad section in iTunes, but there's some other approach you have to take (also involving iTunes). Usually takes me a few tries to get it right since I don't do it often. And all these years I've had no use for iPhoto until now, but I have to use it if I ever expect to get pix on and off the iPad. I really do need to bother to learn how Dropbox works in this case...

It's like some tech support phone person asked my father once: "Is there a younger person there I can talk to?"
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2011, 11:38 PM

i have no idea how it got there, but my music from my pc has suddenly showed up on the ipad2. lol. maybe it got there long ago and maybe only recently. it's a complete mystery to me. it was also in a folder i wasnt expecting it to be in. it was in the "iPod" folder. weird.

also, there is a very cute game i recently downloaded to the ipad2. it has both a free and a pay-for version. it's called "Alchemy". you start with four icons, the old base elements of fire, earth, air and water. you drag and drop these over each other to create new elements. water and earth makes a swamp, for example. fire and air makes energy. the game is to simply keep making new elements. there are hundreds in the current version and i see room for more. it's a very simple game and there are cheat sheets online if you want them, but that does spoil the whole thing now, doesnt it.

it's a very cute, simple game. there's no animations or fancy graphics or sound. you just drag and drop one 'element' over another to make new ones. i've already created some really odd ones, like flu, frankenstein, a chicken, lichen, an idea, and there are many more possible. a few didnt make very much sense to me and some i thought sure would work, didnt. oh well. still, i like it. it's deceptively clever and you'll find yourself banging your head on the desk trying to figure out more and more. ya know you've found a good game when you have bumps on your noggin from it

i also found another one i like, 'Ticket to Ride'. this is a railroad baron type game and can be played solo or with other players. i'll save the explanation here. you can always go look it up on the app store
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware