RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

the Ipad2, a small review and critique

Old 08-18-2011, 11:47 PM
Janitor

Re: the Ipad2, a small review and critique

My preferred way of reading PDFs on an iPad:

Drag a PDF to my Dropbox folder on my computer
Open Dropbox on my iPad and tap on the listing for that PDF
It's now readable, but I much prefer to tap the options icon and then "Open in GoodReader" (separate, non-free app)

Now I can read any PDF just as if it were an iBook or Kindle ebook
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2011, 11:51 PM
Janitor

BTW, you can take screencaps on your iPad by holding the 2 buttons (top corner, indent button on surface, AKA "off" and "home"). They'll be available in the Photos app for emailing or other ways of sending them to your computer (for posting here or whatever).
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2011, 11:51 PM

i also got the 5 in 1. wasnt much help.

and, i got the nomad brush. this is kind of fun. it looks and feels like a real paint brush, but somehow it will act as a touch device like the stylus or your finger (other items like pencils and such dont work as touch devices).

the brush works in almost any paint or sketch type app i've tried so far, especially any one that has digital brushes. it even seems to be a bit pressure sensitive... sometimes. not real sure on that one. for those looking for real brush action, this one misses the point a bit. it's not consistent enough in how it works and the brush end tends to flare out such that the bristles keep getting further and further apart with no way to bring them back together. thus, the smallest pressure sends the bristles all flaring outward making a good clean stroke more problematic at times. still, the digital properties tend to keep the actual stroke you see on the screen more in line and in fact, the digital properties override the nomad quite a bit. still, with some practice it's not too bad and can sometimes come close to a real brush action.

one of the drawbacks, though, is that with each bristle essentially acting as an individual touch device and because the bristles tend to flare outwards and because some apps use a touch of 3 fingers or more to pan or zoom or both, you can sometimes get the nomad moving your whole picture suddenly thinking you hit the pan control and sometimes zoom because of the same thing. this is quite annoying when you're trying to paint.

so, i'm neither recommending nor not on this one. at $24.95 you're not going to be completely throwing your money away and it's a relatively small price, but because of its drawbacks i'm on the fence here. buy it or dont. it's got pluses and minuses. i do use it on some of the more painterly type apps, but it does annoy me at times when the image i'm painting suddenly starts moving around or zooming in or out. so, again, 50/50 on this one.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2011, 12:04 AM

oh, didnt know about the screencapture. thank you! works great.

that's another complaint i have with the ipad2. there were almost no instructions that came with the hardware. just a couple very tiny sheets that i had to read with a magnifying glass. very odd.

and 'unlocking' the device was just extraordinarily convoluted, paranoid and weird. you actually HAVE to have another computer WITH itunes installed on it, before you can use the ipad2 and it took me and another person about a half hour to figure that one out! very displeased with the mess!

i've been reading up on the samsung tab. it's getting very nice reviews from what i've seen so far. i couldnt find it at walmart or staples or anywhere, in fact, yet, but i'm sure it'll hit the stores pretty soon. christmas is coming after all
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2011, 11:12 PM

ok, after much struggle and a few pieces of bought hardware and software, i've finally got a good way to get ALL of my pictures and music on and off the ipad2! yay! i found this slick little app in the apple app store called "Transfer". since my lan (local area network, my home network) is wireless i can use "Transfer" to wirelessly transfer all my stuff back and forth. it's simple to set up and works well. the only drawback i've found with it so far is that it will only do a 'page' of thumbnails at one time. after the initial setup of Transfer i can see the thumbnails of my pics from the ipad2 on my pc. the limit is that i can only transfer one page at a time. that amounts to about 50 pics. oh, and there is one other small inconvenience; it zips all the pics and then sends them. i suppose this is for speed, which some might appreciate, but i find it a tiny bit annoying. but, i gladly suffer it for now being able to move pictures back and forth from the ipad2 to the pc and vice versa!

i've also found another rather convenient little app for the ipad2. it's a remote desktop app. this lets me run my pc from the ipad2. it displays my pc's desktop ON the ipad2 with full functionality! this is pretty slick. i can now sit at the piano, let's say, and have the ipad2 displaying the desktop and from that, open up youtube and find and play a song in my sheet music i might not know very well or just want to remember a bit better. this beats the hell out of having to move the piano over to the computer or the computer over to the piano!

and, if i wanted to leave the computer on while i'm on vacation and i have access to a wireless network, i could actually work on my pc from thousands of miles away through the ipad2! now, that's pretty slick! oh, and the name of this one is "Splashtop Streamer", 'streamer' because you can actually play streaming video from your desktop over the wireless network and onto your ipad2.

these two apps have made things a whole lot better regarding the ipad2, especially the file transfer! both programs were fairly cheap, i think under $5 each and well worth the price so far!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-02-2011, 10:34 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Thanks for the update Craig!

Regarding the usage of the iPad at the piano, you know it can do its own web browsing and YouTube playback, right? ;-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2011, 07:01 PM

As the User Guide for the IPad2 really sucks, I had to do some serious research to find out how to create different Photo Albums on the Ipad as they all seemed to go into one Album

here's how (in ITunes) and on a Windows PC
1 create an IPAD folder (I have mine on the desktop)
2 create subfolders on the IPAD folder. Name them for whatever you want to call the Album
3 Load photos into each sub-folder as you wish
4 In ITunes use the top level folder (IPAD) as the synch folder
5 when the computer synchs, each of the sub folders becomes a separate album

Now I just manage all my photos on my main computer by putting photos (or deleting) into the relevant sub-folder, which in turn becomes an Album on the IPad

It's a pain having to go thru ITunes, but you can get 2 adapters from Apple that plug into the IPAD to upload from your camera's USB connection or from an SD card. (Cost $50 for both adapters)

derek
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2011, 10:24 PM

thanks, crimper.

i sort of went that way to start, but when i tried to create a new sync to upload my music, itunes told me that it would delete all my other photos i'd uploaded and since i'd already put over 7000 photos on the ipad from my pc, i wasnt too eager to do that.

the best way i've found is, have a wireless router, turn on the wireless feature of your computer and use the built in wi-fi of the ipad2. get one of those apps that allows for file transfer tween the ipad2 and the pc and you're all set.

and by the way, i bought those little hardware things you mentioned and even oen or two not made by apple. so far, i'm unimpressed with those. i hope the new ceo opens things up a bit.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2011, 01:16 AM

From another thread, you haven't loaded iOS 5 - your complaints are outdated!
iCloud is amazing, I think it'll solve all your problems.
You won't need to go through iTunes to get things to and from your iPad again (photos, videos, apps, documents, etc - but I don't know about garage band or any photoshop things since I don't use them, but I'd expect them to be play nice with iCloud and have your saved files both on iPad and computer).
iOS 5 increased the iPad's usability, especially standalone usability (not needing to mate it to a computer) substantially, and I have no hesitation in recommending it, especially to anyone who's a little disconcerted with iOS 4 usability.

In my opinion, the only thing missing from the iPad is a more sensitive touch screen, so one can use a stylus and handwrite notes just like us students used to on an old fashioned notepad.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2011, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyrobinson View Post
In my opinion, the only thing missing from the iPad is a more sensitive touch screen, so one can use a stylus and handwrite notes just like us students used to on an old fashioned notepad.

Good luck.
http://www.boxwave.com/apple-ipad-2-.../bwdcd/zgcz-z/
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware