RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

New member here! Need advice which tablet to get

Old 07-29-2011, 10:08 AM

New member here! Need advice which tablet to get

Hello I am a new member and look forward to asking what I'm sure will be dumb newbie questions. I am a photographer in Baltimore Md and I am shopping for an Wacom tablet later today... any suggestions for photo retouching? Medium tablet? Large tablet? Also would I be wasting my time with a Bamboo?
Thanks so much russmon
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2011, 10:55 AM

Re: New member here! Need advice which tablet to g

Quote:
Originally Posted by russmon View Post
Hello I am a new member and look forward to asking what I'm sure will be dumb newbie questions. I am a photographer in Baltimore Md and I am shopping for an Wacom tablet later today... any suggestions for photo retouching? Medium tablet? Large tablet? Also would I be wasting my time with a Bamboo?
Thanks so much russmon
Welcome to RetouchPro ! Now go to the Hardware section and do a search like a good newbie

Since we are a friendly forum, I did a quick search for you, and here are a couple of results:

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/har...an-intuos.html

The thread below includes a post from member Godmother, who is a pro retoucher with a DVD showing her techniques (not necessarily promoting her DVD, but informing you of the depth of her professional status). You may find some helpful info to help you make your own decision.

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/har...ry-tablet.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2011, 11:28 AM

There are some other threads here, with good info on tablets, like the one CJ posted above... As a rule of thumb, if you are going to be using it constantly for commercial work, buy the best one you can afford, (should check the comfort it offers). But if you are going to be using it just as a hobby, a Bamboo Pen or a Pen and Touch will do. The way I see tablets is how comfortable they are, because there is not a specific tablet that can make you a better retoucher... Tablets just make your life easier...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2011, 11:45 AM

I've used practically every size intuos makes. You must consider your screen size. While tablets do have mapping functions available, nothing will make it fun working on a 4x5 or whatever the current small tablet is if your screen is above 15" or so (so yeah a medium laptop). The cursor is way too jumpy. At that point I'd just buy an ergonomic mouse, turn off mouse acceleration and set the mapping speed low because the tracking would be more natural than the tablet.

The larger tablets take time to get used to but when your tablet to screen area ratio is closer they have a much more organic feel. If you need to determine how it's working for you, you will need some time spent at the computer with the tablet. If the cursor is feeling jumpy or going a lot further than you anticipate causing a constant mental knee jerk effect, you need to consider a larger tablet or adjusting the mapping. You should be able to draw circles and write your name comfortably if it's a good fit.

I feel the large (9x12 intuos3 or 8x13 intuos4) tablets are your best bet. The oversized tablets have had a lot of problems with the usb cable soldering and they require a very large desk + shipping if you need repairs and replacement surface overlays are a fortune for those. The medium and small have the jumpy cursor issue. If the cursor motion to hand motion tracking ratio is too far off it loses the organic feel. I think this is important to mention with popular display sizes becoming larger every couple years.

Just a couple other things, keep the box in case you have to ship for repairs. If you buy used check the usb cable for wear along the cord. They can fray and it's an $80 repair + shipping. That said I've seen 9x12 intuos 3 models down to around $100 which is really cheap and a large intuos3 would in most cases be better than a medium intuos4.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2011, 11:57 AM

Thanks so much folks! A little more info.. I did play with a small graphics tablet a few years ago and like it but it was stolen.. and i just never went back to using one... I have just setup a dual monitor display.. 2 23inch monitors and love them .. hope to get them calibrated next week. I have been starting to get pains in the wrist from hours of retouching and hopeing the tablet will help with that... I saw the Bamboo at staples and it's also on sale today for 69.00... but I don't want to buy it and immediately wish I had gotten a better one... Thx russmon
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2011, 12:10 PM

The tablet will help for wrist pains. If you can sit so your wrist never goes above your elbow that will help too. My suggestion would be to check the return policy. I use a 9x12 and I can't even map it to the whole screen area of my 24" eizo due to my love of 1:1 tablet ratios. I can't even imagine what that little tiny space would be like between 2 displays. Furthermore if you checked force proportions so that the x and y coordinates would scale similarly you'd be left with very little tablet area.

My suggestion is buy it if they accept opened returns
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2011, 12:22 PM

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2011, 12:42 PM
Patron

Have to chime in here to counter part of kav's opinion. I use a 4x5 Bamboo Fun with a 24" iMac, with full-screen mapping. Love it, and can't imagine getting a larger tablet (though i have been tempted by the small Intuos 4). My artist daughter has a medium Intuos 4, but maps her screen to a very small area on it. Neither of us work on two screens, though. So it's really a matter of personal taste, and it's a decision to be made by you and you alone. Kav is right about checking out the return policy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2011, 02:38 PM

i've moved this thread to the Hardware forum.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware