Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Problems with Intuos 4

Old 09-17-2011, 03:36 PM
Problems with Intuos 4

I have an Inuos 4 wired medium tablet and am using it in CS5 on a Mac running lion. The OS, software and drivers are all up to date. I keep having a problem with the pen in photoshop. I don't use a tablet in any other applications.

When I am in photoshop, I will hold down the spacebar and move the pen on the tablet surface to move the document around on the monitor. The document will sometimes continue to move after the pen is no longer making contact with the tablet, tracking the movement of the pen in the air.

Sometimes I will touch a layer in the layers palette to highlight it. The layer will continue to move after I lift the pen off the tablet and if I am not careful, its order will change in the layer stack. These problems are intermittent and never happen when I use a mouse.

Wacom has already replaced the pen 3 times so it seems unlikely that the pen is causing the issue. Wacom asked me if I am hard on pens and have a heavy touch, but I am not. (I never wear out nibs and don't experience that problem that most users report with the nibs wearing out too fast with the Intuitos 4.) Every time they have replaced the pen, Wacom has diagnosed the problem over the phone as "something appears to be wrong with the sensor".)

I have tried to solve the issue by reinstalling the wacom drivers after removing them with the wacom drivers utility and resetting the preferences for photoshop by holding down the command +opt+shift keys when launching it, but the problem still reoccurs.

I am wondering if anyone else experiences this issue or has any ideas as to what may be causing it? Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Caravaggio; 09-17-2011 at 08:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2011, 07:18 PM
Re: Problems with Intuitos 4

Originally Posted by Caravaggio View Post
Wacom has already replaced the pen 3 times so it seems unlikely that the pen is causing the issue. Wacom asked me if I am hard on pens and have a heavy touch, but I am not.

They are really silly for asking this considering the tablets are designed to be pressure sensitive. I've had a lot of weird wacom problems over the years. I would suggest googling it as well simply because it usually turns up something with the sheer number of wacom users out there. It sounds similar to the issue I've had with them when the driver crashes. It won't drop whatever page I'm moving around at the time. Anyway I don't think it's the same thing but yeah they have a lot of weird bugs, and their servicing turnaround times suck.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware