RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Eizo s2243w Auto ecoview

Old 10-10-2011, 11:53 AM

Eizo s2243w Auto ecoview

Hello, im doing all my retouching with an Eixo s2243w screen. This monitor has "Auto ecoview" this is:
"An Auto EcoView sensor on the front of the monitor measures ambient light and optimizes the screen's brightness to levels akin to viewing a sheet of paper under typical office lighting conditions. Since the screen is never too bright, eye strain is reduced while power consumption is cut by up to 43% compared to operating the monitor with Auto EcoView turned off and set to the default factory brightness of 100%"

I have calibrated my monitor with this off so the brightness was constant. When i was reading the other day i turned auto ecoview on because of eyestrain. I then forgot to turned it off when i started my retouching. Now i have been retouching for three hours on a picture and realize that ecoview is on . I then turn it off and the picture becomes way to bright.
So my question is can ecoview be on as long as i have calibrated the screen with it on. ( i am not working under constant lighting conditions)Or should i turn it off when i am retouching.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2011, 02:15 AM

Re: Eizo s2243w Auto ecoview

It might be you have calibrated your monitor to a too bright setting for your working environment since you experience eyestrain with that setting.

Also, if you have had the monitor at one brightness level, and then suddenly switch it to a brighter setting everything will look "too bright" until you have adjusted (just like if you suddenly turn down the brightness everything will look gray and dull for a while).

How much the colours will be affected by the change in monitor brightness I do not know. I believe on a professional monitor it won't be much of an issue (but that's a guess).
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2011, 04:44 AM

You should never have it set high enough to cause eye strain under any circumstances. Highest possible brightness should also never be used. Regardless of contrast stability, max brightness is a moving target and you'll simply shorten the lifespan of your backlight. Have you compared print brightness to your display? Regarding contrast degradation at lower brightness levels, 350 or 400:1 is plenty for editing photos, but you may have to allow yourself to become used to it. If you're retouching turn off all artificial lighting. Close your windows, curtains, blinds, etc.

When you aren't retouching just leave it that way unless it's simply too dim for you. If nothing else it'll improve the life of your display.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2011, 01:27 PM

All these auto, set the luminance with a Colorimeter processes are hit or miss. It should get you in the ballpark but you'll most likely have to tweak the settings for cd/m2 to get a visual match of a print to the print viewing conditions next to the display. For more details see:http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...too_dark.shtml

Any auto compensation for ambient light is a no-no (control the light, turn 'feature' off).
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2011, 11:06 AM

Thanks for the replies. Read your article,Andrew. Very informative stuff. Would highly recommend it to everyone. So i will take your advice and not use auto ecoview and rather control the light. Also i forgot when i read a lot of web pages i can switch over too "text mode" on my monitor. This helps a lot hen i spending too much time reading the forums It gives the screen a brown tint that helps a lot when reading web pages with white background.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware