RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Wi-Fi for your Camera?

Old 11-02-2011, 07:27 PM

Re: Wi-Fi for your Camera?

Hello. You can buy on amazon.
Aluratek 3G Portable Wireless USB Cellular Router + e-Fi Pro X2 8 GB Class 6 SDHC Wireless Flash Memory Card EYE-FI-8PC + SD/SDHC/MMC to CompactFlash (CF) Type II Adapter

Link
http://www.amazon.com/Aluratek-Porta...8441072&sr=8-8

Is very good.

Bye.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2011, 08:34 PM

I've been checking on these for some months, but don't have an iPad (yet) and not sure I want to pay to my images look just a bit bigger on my iPod Touch than on my camera's lcd. Earlier this year, an ad-hoc hotspot was also required, and that was another deterrence for me. Now that Eye-Fi offers Direct Mode and a free app, it's looking even better. From Terry White's blog (Adobe)

"The combination of the firmware update for the Eye-Fi X2 Card series and the FREE Eye-Fi App means that you can now shoot wirelessly from your digital camera to an iPad, iPhone or iPod touch without having to have both devices connected to a WiFi hotspot. This is AWESOME NEWS! Even if you're out in the middle of nowhere, you would still be able to shoot and transfer the images to your mobile device..." His Best Apps blog even has a short video showing the timing of his shots to iPad viewing -- http://www.bestappsite.com/tag/eye-fi/

**NOTE** Might be worth reading Amazon's negative reviews for the card before buying and reading issues with Nikon DSLRs I'll be interested in seeing how this all plays out because I'd love to shoot tethered to a large display out far from a wi-fi hotspot...

Last edited by CJ Swartz; 11-02-2011 at 09:37 PM. Reason: possible problems - info added
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2011, 09:37 PM

i've now got the card and have it working in my z981 kodak. the first interesting thing was, it wasnt supposed to work for my camera. it wasnt on their list. apparently, the firmware update i got must have included it and they just hadnt updated their site yet. this thing is pretty slick. i got the 8 gig pro.

it works pretty much like they say. one thing i didnt see mentioned in their ads is that you get another little hardware device that you plug into a usb port. this acts as the transceiver, the device that sends and receives to your computer and the card in the camera. so, basically, it's just like a wireless mouse or keyboard and works fine with my pc and camera.

in trying it out i found i preferred turning the thing off while i was shooting near the house, otherwise the thing kept trying to download while i was shooting and that was a bit disconcerting and distracting. so, it does work in real time.

i havent gotten it to work with my ipad2 yet. i did download a software app that's supposed to let me transfer wirelessly to the ipad, but i havent got it set up right somewhere. it's ok for now, since i always transfer my pictures to my pc first and then from the pc to the ipad2 if i want them there, too.

all in all, this is pretty slick. i'm a bit peeved that they dont tell you up front that this wont work with every camera and then tell you which ones. that just seems a bit sleezy to me and when i first couldnt get the thing to work and then saw this notice of my camera wasnt designated, i was starting to steam up. but, having gotten it to work, i'm still a bit annoyed, as others are going to run into this, too, but at least i didnt have to go through the hassle of sending it back. i do wish companies played straight with their customers. some do, i know, and some walk in the gray area and others are outright thieves. as this turned out it was a minor annoyance, but could have been worse.

at any rate, it's working and i can now transfer my pictures to my pc wirelessly. no more usb cable! pretty slick
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin View Post
i've now got the card and have it working in my z981 kodak. the first interesting thing was, it wasnt supposed to work for my camera. it wasnt on their list....
all in all, this is pretty slick. i'm a bit peeved that they dont tell you up front that this wont work with every camera and then tell you which ones. that just seems a bit sleezy to me and when i first couldnt get the thing to work and then saw this notice of my camera wasnt designated, i was starting to steam up....
Hmmm, glad that you got it to work since it is not on their list of compatible cameras. Don't know why you would be upset, though, since the list of compatible cameras is on their website as is the question "Not sure if Eye-Fi cards work in your camera?".

We have to check what kind of cards work in our camera anyway - is it SD, SDHC, Compact Flash, Sony stick, etc. Even in the "olden days" we had to choose the flash bulbs that fit our flash attachment, which film we wanted - although there were fewer choices and most people could just buy 'Kodak film' and get something that would work in their camera (could end up with tungsten instead of daylight, but you had to try hard to make that mistake). A few years ago, I was questioned extensively by a Best Buy clerk as I tried to buy a card for my camera - I got the feeling that he was used to people my age not knowing what they really needed for these "new-fangled contraptions" and found it hard to believe that I had actually written down the correct type of card.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2011, 11:33 PM

hi CJ,

yes, it is listed on their website once you go in a couple of pages, but what i was referring to is there shld be a disclaimer on the main home page saying something like 'may not work with your camera, please check here first.' a little warning would have been nice. i also notice that the model just before the z981 is now listed. i dont think it was before. but, i was happy that there was a firmware update to the device before i could actually use it and i'm guessing that's what made my camera compatible. when you plug the usb device into the pc it automatically calls home to their server and checks for updates and later on, registration, i believe.

i'm only annoyed that they werent more upfront about compatibility. they're quite upfront about selling but not so much about warning you off for incompatibility. that's all.

and i doubt it was your age that the Best Buy guy was grilling you because. i'd almost be willing to bet it was your gender. it's the old 'you gals aint quite technical minded like us fellers' mentality/bias. car salesmen were well known for this and it's a documented fact that women always used to pay more for a car than a man because the salesman could put one over on the women. that trend/bias still exists in car sales and electronics and other venues.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2011, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin View Post
and i doubt it was your age that the Best Buy guy was grilling you because. i'd almost be willing to bet it was your gender. it's the old 'you gals aint quite technical minded like us fellers' mentality/bias. car salesmen were well known for this and it's a documented fact that women always used to pay more for a car than a man because the salesman could put one over on the women. that trend/bias still exists in car sales and electronics and other venues.

I used to ask a mechanical guy at work for tips about what might be wrong with my car before I took it to the mechanic so that I could better tell if what they diagnosed made sense or not. Always expected the possibility of someone trying to put one over on me, and I was definitely not up on car innards - even after watching my brother take his apart all the time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2011, 11:09 PM

"I used to ask a mechanical guy at work for tips about what might be wrong with my car before I took it to the mechanic so that I could better tell if what they diagnosed made sense or not. Always expected the possibility of someone trying to put one over on me, and I was definitely not up on car innards - even after watching my brother take his apart all the time."

very smart
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2011, 11:23 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

I learned what various car parts were when they went bad in my old hand-me-down Ford Galaxy 500 back in the late '70s...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware