Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Looking for affordable tablet for retouching?

Old 12-24-2011, 03:04 PM
Re: Looking for affordable tablet for retouching?

Originally Posted by shift studio View Post
Okay - gotcha. When you go back to a smaller one, can you get used to it? Just wondering. For me, after a couple of hours with a new size, I feel comfortable with it (surprisingly)
Not really personally. I tested this before selling the old ones. The closer I can get to 1:1 mapping, the easier it is for me to draw accurately and trace lines just by knowing how to move it. When they're too much out of proportion you really have to watch that cursor tracking where I like to go by feel. Going by feel with a small one has a tendency to offset my work slightly and I can't really get my brain to adjust without working at a much slower pace which is an issue for me as my budgets often suck. I can work relatively fast if I'm confident in whatever I am doing to the image.

I actually considered purchasing a cintiq a couple years ago, but I didn't like looking down at the display or the obstruction of my view caused by the pen. What I did like was that it was 1:1. Also I know by hand you'd have that same issue to a degree, but these wacom pens are more obstructive to viewing than a fine brush. I know this as I have spotted prints by hand before (over a decade ago but it still counts).

I guess the thing is even once I felt used to a size, the sort of displacement effect still affected my work, and that was a big enough issue to kill any interest in using a smaller size. I used a larger one at first at a studio while I had a medium at home. On the larger one I found that I had fewer mistakes where something was offset a little, and I could work faster.

Okay that got kind of long.... ending post here.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-25-2011, 10:48 AM

I did fine with the smallest one. I was used to making small movements on a mouse pad, and the small tablet gave me much more control. Going with a larger tablet would have meant getting used to a different method. OTOH, I know people who got used to using a sketch pad to draw, and used to making large movements. So they preferred a large one.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-26-2011, 06:11 AM

this one is the one I have and its great, it is in your price range...
Click here
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware