RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Vga output signal - useless?

Old 12-30-2011, 11:03 AM

Vga output signal - useless?

Hi

I have a laptop with VGA output, not DVI. Is there any point in connecting the laptop to an external monitor and calibrate it or is the VGA-signal useless for retouching?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2011, 11:49 AM

Re: Vga output signal - useless?

Hi Peter

I will make the assumption that you monitor is LCD and not a CRT.

If that is the case, converting the computer digital information to an analog VGA singal and then in the monitor it gets converted from that analog signal back to digital will result in a little loss of fidelity assuming that the VGA hardware on both your computer and monitor is good fidelity VGA circuitry, then a little fidelity is all you lose.

However, if the circuitry is not the best, you can also introduce some drift as both temperature and in some cases supply voltages change. This could result in a need for more frequent calibrations. If it is really poor generic VGA circuitry then it may not be a good choice at all. The issue is that the quality of VGA circuitry especially in these days is not rated or posted. You may just have to try it and see if it meets your need. I would suggest though that if you have a high end monitor, you would be wasting your money using a VGA path in the system.

Finally, most laptops that only have a VGA output are typically pretty dated. Does that laptop meet you other needs for retouching (performance, main memory, disk space, etc) Just some quick thoughts. Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2011, 02:40 PM

Hi

The graphics card is only specified as:
Intel GMA HD Graphics, not sure what that means.

Tha laptop is otherwise pretty good for my needs: DELL LATITUDE E5410 CI5 2.53 8GB/128 SSD 14.1" so I would really like to be able to connect it to a calibrated lower midrange monitor. I am a hobby photographer, not a professional retoucher so I do not need pro grade gear. I would like to be able to be reasonably right in colour, brightness etc though.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2011, 03:59 PM

Hi Peter

I don't know anything specific about that model of Dell laptop other than it is a Business model so the graphics are just basic (e.g. VGA). That does not mean that there is a problem. Since this is the direction you desire, why not gust give it a go.

You did not mention if you already have the monitor or not. In any case, you need to have a way to both calibrate (put it in known stable state of adjustment) and profile (create the ICC profile) your monitor. You need to factor that hardware/software into your budget as well. Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2011, 04:35 PM

I currently have neither the monitor nor the calibration tool. I am thinkimg about getting a monitor such as Dell ultrasharp 2209wa or
HP ZR24W and a spyder3, but i am not sure how useful it will
be since i only have VGA output.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware