RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

MacPro - or update exisiting G5?

Old 01-09-2012, 12:19 PM

MacPro - or update exisiting G5?

Hi,

I've got a PowerMac G5 (Dualcore 2.0 GHz, 4gig of ram, standard HD) and would like to increase performance. The other option would be to buy a new Mac Pro when Apple updates them (or maybe "if" they update them... I've heard about the rumors).

Anyway. Money is important. I could splash out for a MacPro, but would have to sell my laptop... and I'm wondering if it's worth it. (Quite happy with Photoshop CS4, so no need for Intel). I mean: I'm not doing 3d rendering, so don't need the latest & greatest.

Do you think there'd be a big performance difference for Photoshop between the following two options.

1) Buy a new Mac Pro, smallest machine (6-core?) with 8GB RAM, standard HD, running Photoshop CS4. It'd be my only computer, so I'd be running Safari/Mail/...

2) Upgrade G5 to: solid-state system/swap-drive, additional 10000rpm drive, get a good graphics card (Radeon X800?), strip down the system to an absolute minimum & delete all other Applications, no connection to the internet. (I'd be keeping my laptop).

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2012, 12:46 PM

Re: MacPro - or update exisiting G5?

Hi Ikiri,

what a question

I wouldn't buy new machine wich doesn't have a thunderbolt port. This is where the future is going to. Check out this video:

http://www.studiodaily.com/blog/?p=8236

It looks like you will use a small computer as a brain (MacBook pro or Mac Mini or iMac) connected via thunderbolt port to a fast hard drive or graphic card (which was possible only on Mac Pro). The other question is amount of RAM - Mac Mini is limited by 8MB of RAM for example ...

Recently I upgraded to Photoshop CS5 as I was working on CS3 and waiting to upgrade to CS6 but we all know the Adobe strory and I must say that CS5 is pretty fast compare to CS3. It speeded up my work as I work with large files ...

I would say if you were able to work on G5 till now you shouldn't have a problem wait couple of months and see what the future will bring to us ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeretouch View Post
It looks like you will use a small computer as a brain (MacBook pro or Mac Mini or iMac) connected via thunderbolt port to a fast hard drive or graphic card (which was possible only on Mac Pro). The other question is amount of RAM - Mac Mini is limited by 8MB of RAM for example ...
Wrong Sorry if I was phrasing my question unlearly, but:
I won't be using a small computer as a brain. The question is: Should I buy a new MacPro, or upgrade my EXISITING PowerMac G5 (to max ram, max graphics card, SSD,...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeretouch View Post
Recently I upgraded to Photoshop CS5 as I was working on CS3 and waiting to upgrade to CS6 but we all know the Adobe strory and I must say that CS5 is pretty fast compare to CS3. It speeded up my work as I work with large files ...
Can you tell me more about the Adobe story? I've heard about the new subscription plan for the Creative Suite. Do you think that "CS6" will be available subscription ONLY?
Or do you mean update from CS3 to CS6 isn't possible, only to CS5?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2012, 01:26 PM

Regarding Thunderbolt. Saw this on Macrumors today:
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/01/08/...nderbolt-macs/

Apart from that, I'm not into the thunderbolt thing. It's "Mac only" AFAIK. I'd be looking at eSATA (via a separate card, or the LaCie HUB). Not doing any video anyway, so no need for top notch data transfer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikiri View Post
Wrong Sorry if I was phrasing my question unlearly, but:
I won't be using a small computer as a brain. The question is: Should I buy a new MacPro, or upgrade my EXISITING PowerMac G5 (to max ram, max graphics card, SSD,...).
Please watch this video you have never seen something similar before! In the future we will maybe use small computers as "a brain" and will connect strong and fast graphic cards via thunderbold port ... Today, you can do this on Mac Pro only. This video shows you how to use external graphic cards with today's MacBook Pro! Perhaps no Mac Pro in the future!

Quote:
Can you tell me more about the Adobe story? I've heard about the new subscription plan for the Creative Suite. Do you think that "CS6" will be available subscription ONLY?
Or do you mean update from CS3 to CS6 isn't possible, only to CS5?
Yes, that is what I meant.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Regarding Thunderbolt. Saw this on Macrumors today:
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/01/08/...nderbolt-macs/

Apart from that, I'm not into the thunderbolt thing. It's "Mac only" AFAIK. I'd be looking at eSATA (via a separate card, or the LaCie HUB). Not doing any video anyway, so no need for top notch data transfer.
Well, I wouldn't spend so much money for a new computer without thunderbolt
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2012, 04:11 PM

Ah... I see what you mean now. Very interesting indeed...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2012, 04:23 AM

Hi Ikri,

I use a 2010 iMac running cs5 at home, and the same G5 as you running cs3 at work. Performance-wise, I never thought that my G5 was a slouch until I got my iMac.

Aside from the hardware improvements, my iMac is also running Snow Leopard, which seems to be significantly quicker than Leopard on the G5.

If I were in your shoes, and was only using the G5 for graphics work, I'd spend a bit on upgrading it, rather than splash out on a new pro machine. The only real problems I'm getting with my G5 at work (now that it has a new HDD in it) is things like not being able to run the latest version of Firefox, not being able to run Chrome etc.. At some point, there will come a time when none of the software that runs on the old PPC chips will be supported - By that time, you'll be able to save more money for an even faster Pro!

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2012, 10:14 AM

New machines are expensive, but there is another option you might think about:

You could probably get a significant upgrade in performance by buying a used Mac Pro. You might get a few bucks by selling your G5 now, but that won't be the case in another year. Rather than upgrade the g5, you could buy a used 64 bit Intel Mac Pro that has a better graphics card already installed. I am still using my first generation MacPro 2.66 Dual-Core Intel Xeon and it runs CS5 and the rest pretty well. The same computer now sells on eBay for $600.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware