Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Can I scan slides?

Old 02-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Can I scan slides?

I might have another job coming in but I have to be able to scan slides. I have an Epson Perfection 1640SU scanner that is about 10 years old. How can I tell, or what do I need to be able to scan slides in?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2012, 01:04 PM
Re: Can I scan slides?

Have you lost the manual . Have a look Here. I believe you would need the optional transparency unit to provide a backlight source for the slides. You may find the optical resolution quite limiting on this unit
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2012, 06:17 PM

i was looking at another manual on that and it appears the the ability to scan neg and slides used "optional" transparency adapter.. now if you didn't get the transparency unit not sure if you can get one for it now since you said the scanner is 10 years old.. well look in your box and see if yo have...

note: this link has similar info but it gives you an idea what the transparency adapter looks like for your old scanner

otherwise looks like a new one.... then you need to look at how many slides are you going to do at one time... most will only do around 4 slides or 1 neg strip ...

however others can do more than 4 slides at a time

also for your own way of doing things.. some scanners you need to set the slides in template and attach to the hood whereas others you can layer down on the glass itself which to me a lot easier

don't know what your budget is... and that will probably make a difference...
myself I ended up getting epson v600 ... because the trasnparencies did lay on the glass , handles different sizes of negatives ... a couple of other things .. it not the best but pretty good and fitted my budget for what I do

final note: little surprise that the old scanner still pumping along my expereience the bulb start dying after just few years..
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2012, 12:33 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist

A dedicated slide scanner (as opposed to flatbed with transparency adapter) is always best. I've been using older Nikon Coolscan IVs with VueScan with great success.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware