RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Seriously looking at windows over mac

Old 03-13-2012, 04:36 PM

Seriously looking at windows over mac

I am curious right now what windows 8 and photoshop will look like. I also am curious about the speed of a dual chip xeon e5 machine and photoshop compared to mountain lion or lion. I see a trend in computing that is moving away from workstations and more towards user friendly "apps". I love that stuff but I need the workstation hardcore customization to get my work done. whats a retoucher to do when my OS keeps getting redesigned to accommodate a phone. It's as if my complete word-working shop is being replaced by a Dremel tool.

I do realize there are many threads and thoughts here but please if anyone has info on windows and photoshop speeds that would be great.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2012, 04:41 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Re: Seriously looking at windows over mac

Well you can get the public preview of Windows 8 and see screenshots of PS6, but not try them together at this point.

I hear you about the dumbing down of the desktop. iOS is great for tablets, but someone needs to create content on a desktop-! It must be said that MS is also heading down this road with Windows 8, so there may be no escape until we all get tired of it and the pendulum swings back.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2012, 07:36 PM

I think its about lowering the cost of computing for "the user" who doesn't need a content creation machine. The ipad 3 scores a 780 on geekbench... and current high end Mac Pros will push 25k if you keep it happy and know what you are doing.

There will always be a market for us but its just not definite that we are Apples darling anymore. Look at the kerfuffle with finalcut x. It kinda tips their hat in what they are trying to do with high end product
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2012, 08:22 PM
Patron

Yeah, the Final Cut X adventure discussions are where I saw people wondering about the future of the Mac Pros. So my point was, if you want to use OSX and Apple abandons you at that level of hardware, there are alternatives. License violating alternatives, but they are still options. I haven't had the need to go there myself at this point, but I try and stay informed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2012, 10:32 AM

I went back to windows and dont get me wrong I love my macs, but My Workstation is a built up PC and smokes my macs hands down in power and cost in upgrading components
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2012, 02:59 PM
Patron

That's what I hear ;-). OSX ("violation version") should run just as well on that hardware. That's why people choose that route. So I hear.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware