Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Can you help me choose a new Monitor?

Old 02-02-2013, 12:51 AM
Re: Can you help me choose a new Monitor?

I disagree. First, it's his money and he's the customer. Customers ultimately drive product requirements, not vendors or consultants, and vendors that meet customer requirements better get the sales and become the market leaders, regardless of who thinks the customers are wrong or not.

Second, the NEC looked better to him. Right out of the box. And it still works really well.

Nothing at all wrong with any of that.

Third, a tune-up is a more accurate comparison than adjusting the mirrors. The position of the mirrors does not affect the core performance of a car. The color of a monitor does affect the core performance of the monitor.

And you don't need extra calibration tools to adjust mirrors in an auto. Doing that takes matter of seconds. You do need extra calibration tool (software, hardware or both) to adjust color in a monitor. Calibrating a monitor takes considerably longer than adjusting mirrors in a car.

Me personally, if there are two products of equal quality and one works out of the box and one doesn't, I'll take the working one any day. But different strokes for different folks. If you like tinkering, it's perfectly reasonable to choose the product that needs tinkering. But that's a choice not everyone is happy with, and feeling that way is perfectly ok as well.

Last edited by RobertAsh; 02-02-2013 at 01:04 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2013, 10:10 AM
Re: Can you help me choose a new Monitor?

Originally Posted by RobertAsh View Post
Third, a tune-up is a more accurate comparison than adjusting the mirrors.
Exactly. Everyone knows that a monitor must be calibrated for color. We calibrated all the displays we tested. The NEC had the best software, and the results were the best. The HP had that conflicting blue cast even though the temp was set to 5800k, which told us it would be more complicated to get the display to where it was acceptable, and that could have been a portend of future issues. Both the Eizo and HP could not display the difference between rich black (4 color Black) and flat black (one color black), as I said before. In a production environment you want equipment to respond as expected. The NEC fit the requirements.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware