RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Can you help me choose a new Monitor?

Old 05-12-2012, 07:45 PM

Question Can you help me choose a new Monitor?

Hello!
I am in the process of updating my gear, I recently bought a Mac Mini and now I'm on the hunt for a screen. My budget is no more than 450 euros. Within that Price Range many people I know have recommended Dell Monitors while others told me to avoid Dell like a diseased exotic dancer because of anti-glare coating issues and short durability. So now I'm not sure what to do, someone suggested the Asus PA246Q to me, what do you all think? Do you have any suggestions? I'm still pretty new to the retouching game but with 100% sRBG coverage this screen seems pretty good, right? Since I'm planning on working in Fashion, Advertising and Beauty, I do believe our teacher said that clients require sRBG images for printing, am I correct? Sorry for my technoobishness. (Is that even a word?)

Thanks Guys, I'm looking forward to your suggestions!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2012, 05:09 AM

Re: Can you help me choose a new Monitor?

Can anyone help?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2012, 05:34 AM
Janitor

With that limited budget, I'd go with a smaller Dell or HP IPS monitor. But keep some room in your budget for a calibrator, no matter what monitor you choose.

You might want to check out Andrew Rodney's shows over on our rental page.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2012, 05:57 AM

Thanks Doug. I have a calibrator, a Spyder Pro I believe which was given to us at the beginning of the year. What do you think of the ASUS? I can get a good deal on it where I live.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2012, 06:56 AM
Janitor

I know nothing about their monitors, but their support for their routers is truly horrible. That being said, I almost bought a couple of their monitors some years back due to their being on several best buy lists. I'm glad I didn't (the router came after).

Here's a helpful list I found when I was shopping.

http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/s-ips-lcd-list.php
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2012, 07:10 AM

Ah! Funny, they actually recommend this monitor!

Could you look at the specs and tell me what you think? I think it may well be the best deal in that price range. It's the only monitor under 450 euros that covers 100% sRBG which I suppose is the most important feature for Fashion, Beauty and Editorial Work. And it has 12 bit panel I believe.

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-PA246Q-24...6869329&sr=8-1

Last edited by YoungRetoucher; 05-13-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2012, 07:23 AM
Janitor

I'd hate to misremember Andrew Rodney's advice (you really should watch his monitor shows), but as I recall he gave little credence to the sRBG coverage claims. Let's hope he notices this thread and can comment himself.

The reviews pretty much back up my opinion of ASUS, great design and latest technology, iffy quality control, horrible support.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2012, 06:44 PM

hello!

On the beginning sorry for my english If you can spend 450 euro I would rather recommend to buy some cheaper Eizo or Nec. If you will do serious fashion job for magazine you need CMYK color space and sRGB is smaller then AdobeRBG. With this two company you will sure you have good quality and service. best regards. jacek
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-15-2012, 03:32 AM

Hi, the Asus is 102 % im NTSC, 98 % Adobe RGB and 100 % sRGB. I believe it's the monitor with the most colour coverage within that price range. The cheaper Eizos are "Office Monitors" with less coverage.

Last edited by YoungRetoucher; 05-15-2012 at 04:05 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-15-2012, 04:45 AM

Smile Re: Can you help me choose a new Monitor?

hello!

please read about NTSC (never the same color. this are your money and you will happy or not. I have eizo and now I am changing to another eizo. I worked in very big studio photography and all used eizo. Doug Nelson wrote "horrible support" - I don't have experience with ASUS but my friend had the same problem - support. I hate spend money and after this spending time calling to bad support. please check something about hardware calibration.
Also you can read about screen and technology: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/
Remember - the most important is what you will do on your screen. I know few people who are working with not expensive screen and in PS they are using info panel and they are happy. but always they are printing proof

I didn't check but maybe we can do list who is using which screen for what - only this - without "I have the best. Eizo is better then NEC. etc"

best regards - jacek
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware