RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Display questions

Old 08-14-2002, 05:59 PM

I just tried those new settings and I am amazed at the results. I was about to toss that Epson 1280 into the dumpster, but this print came out so beautiful, I think I might finally be able to produce the kind of output that I dreamed about.

Before the changes, skin tone was faded, colors were muddy and in some places the color was way off.

Once again, here's the link to the article:

http://www.russellbrown.com/tips/pdf/epsonprinting.pdf

Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2002, 06:19 PM

Margaret,

Thanks for the link. I had already found it and tried it. Didn't work. I really think it's my monitor. If it's not, I'm going to start crying for real!

Tom - thanks for your thoughts on the refurbished issue. It's good to know that I still have some logical ability left in my brain. Looking on eBay, there's a new-in-box HP P1130 (another Sony Trinitron) that is due up in a few days. It sells retail for $849, but past auctions have it going for as little as $300. My husband uses that exact monitor at work and says it's "really nice!" Perhaps I can get a good deal on the eBay one. It comes with a 3-yr manufacturer warranty, so I know it's new and not refurbished.

Of course, I still have almost two days to make the eBay decision - and since I just purchased the latest Computer Arts Special magazine with a big review on "hardware for Photoshop" including monitors, I might change my mind.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2002, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jeaniesa

Uh Greg - just how much room do you think I have on my desk? Two 21" monitors?!?

Looks like you need a new desk as well....:

Tom is right- avoid refurbished monitors and go with a new one. It might cost more, but a good quality monitor will last years.

I see the monitor you mentioned on Ebay. It looks nice and the reserve is only $465. I just have mental block that forbids me from purchasing anything with the initials "HP" in it.

I'm like Doug...if I had the money I would get the 2060u. It's a 22" Diamondtron (same thing as Trinitron) for around $700-$750... I love my 19" Sony...but that Mitsubishi beckons me!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2002, 07:15 PM

Smile Monitor

Hey Janiesa...

You might want to check out www.tigerdirect.com.

They have some verrryyyy good deals on monitors, plus you would avoid the "E-Bay Anxiety" blues !!

AH
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2002, 12:51 PM

Talking Good news!

I can't believe it! Late, late last night, I decided to try pushing the buttons on the front of my monitor one more time - and they worked!! Well, they didn't work completely, but they worked well enough for me to change brightness and contrast. I was speechless! (Still am.)

Needless to say, I was also very excited! So, I ran Adobe Gamma, but the resulting calibration/profile did not make my screen version of the file I've been test printing for five days look like my actual print. I was very suspect of the part of Adobe Gamma where it says 'make the inner square barely visible while retaining a bright white'. (See related discussion on this here.) I mean, how do you know if you're retaining bright white?

I had downloaded the MonacoEZcolor demo that came with my new printer, so decided to try that to calibrate & profile my monitor. (The demo is only functional for monitors, but that was good enough for me!) There were a couple of questions I had to guess on (like what the color temperature of the monitor is - since it is user selectable and that part of my front buttons is still broken - can you say "loose connection"? ) BUT, I found the part where you set the brightness much easier than Adobe Gamma. And the best part, after I'd run through it and it had setup the profile for me, I went into PS and the image looked exactly like my prints!!

Not wanting to push my luck, I waited until this morning to actually do a test print. (I thought I would sleep better with some hope rather than possible disappointment. ) Anyway, after adjusting the image (mostly the contrast) to the way I liked it, I printed it out - AND IT LOOKED JUST LIKE I WANTED!!

I'm SO HAPPY!

Lesson learned: A calibrated monitor is KEY if you have any hope of matching what you see on your screen to what comes out of your printer!

I know, I know. I will need to get a new monitor sometime in the near future. BUT - I think this one will get me through a stack of photos that I've got waiting for me to work on and by the time I finish working on them, hopefully I'll have the money I need to get a (nice) new monitor!

Jeanie

P.S. Before I realized I had more control over my monitor than I thought, I was looking seriously at that Mitsubishi. It will stay in my top three when I start looking seriously again. AH - thanks for that link. It looks like most of the monitors are either refurbished or recertified. Do you know what "recertified" means?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2002, 06:28 PM

Unhappy Monitor Blues

So glad to hear that you were able to get your monitor going, for the time being at least

One of my past lives was spent (mis-spent???) as a computer tech doing hardware repair...so to answer your question:

Refurbished - equipment that in all likely-hood does have a hardware problem. The problem is fixed either by replacing a component or assembly, then re-sold as such.

Recertified - equipment that, once a repair depot gets a hold of, is determined to have no hardware problems (it may have been returned to a retailer or manufacturer for a variety of reasons) and then is calibrated to operational status.

In both cases, you would receive fully warranted equipment.

It has been my experience, over the years, with new computers and periphials that if something is going to break it usually does so in the first 2 weeks of operation !!!

AH
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware