RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

NEC PA231W 23" or PA241W 24"

Old 07-20-2012, 05:05 PM

Re: NEC PA231W 23" or PA241W 24"

Thanks Andrew
Tony I will take time now to read manual and about multiprofiler software(which is still included and unpacked yet) step at the time :0
P-fuzz sorry to hear about the tint. by luck my HP had no this issue and I was flogging it day after day. I think it served me well. 3-4 years . I wish a bit more.
I went for NEC PA241W.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2012, 05:33 AM

I want to ask all monitor users and Nec PA241W in particular what cd/m2 settings do you work on? I can't recall now what cd/m2 I had on my previous monitor but having 160 cd/m2 on this monitor looks to me quiet dim. I made it to 220. It feels better.
And the other thing I can highly notice when viewing images on adobe bridge they look dull when open on ACR and photoshop they get back to normal hue sat and brightness values ...?! Strange enough.
Thanks Tomas

Last edited by nebulaoperator; 07-21-2012 at 05:38 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2012, 06:09 AM
Patron

cd/m2 settings that others work to are irrelevant as pointed out in this thread - the right settings for you will depend on all the points made in the thread.

What calibrator have you bought to know that it is now 220?

This seems to be incredibly high if true figure, but it will all depend on your environment, still 220?.

Have a look Here and work through the screen tests and take note of what they are saying. This is not a precise way to do it but it may help get you to establish what you should expect from a screen after proper profiling and calibration
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2012, 06:26 AM

Hi Tony,
I don't have calibrator yet I used multiprofiler to do factory setting by choosing full mode and cranking up cd/m2 up. My room has most grey walls and to windows on the side that have roll blinds on it having said that room is quiet bright taking into account ideal retouching conditions. I believe at night monitor will be too bright.
Some of the test I have to do at dark conditions so some of them I will run at night but a few note I will add from the link test:
white saturation at my ambient conditions at 254 is undistinguished
I have a pixel walk in 4b 4a 2b(little)
So far I noticed that much at the moment.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2012, 07:04 AM
Patron

At this stage I would suggest without a calibration device you are wasting your time. Until you have such a device I suggest you ignore the multiprofiler solution and instead look at the link I provided (http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/) to get you somewhere in the acceptable ballpark for your monitor. Read the instructions and go through each test and read the description of what you should be looking for. This is far from ideal but should help until you get the calibrator

I do not have experience with your particular monitor or the UK version of Spectraview so there may be something I am not aware of but FWIW:
  • I am surprised that the Multiprofiler solution runs without a calibration device attached.
  • Without a calibrator attached directly to your screen you cannot measure luminance
  • As far as I am aware to measure ambient room lighting you will need to use a calibrator that enables you to do this - some you attach a plastic cover to the sensor and I am sure there are other ways.
  • I do not know how Ambilight works on your monitor but I assume that it adjusts monitor brightness to compensate for changes to your ambient lighting after comparing your calibrated settings ambient light values with your current ambient light.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulaoperator View Post
Hi Tony,
I don't have calibrator yet I used multiprofiler to do factory setting by choosing full mode and cranking up cd/m2 up. My room has most grey walls and to windows on the side that have roll blinds on it having said that room is quiet bright taking into account ideal retouching conditions. I believe at night monitor will be too bright.
Some of the test I have to do at dark conditions so some of them I will run at night but a few note I will add from the link test:
white saturation at my ambient conditions at 254 is undistinguished
I have a pixel walk in 4b 4a 2b(little)
So far I noticed that much at the moment.
btw, if you would like to try out different calibrators there are places in London (direct, procentre and calumet) that have them up for hire.
I usual hire them on a friday so I keep it through the weekend and get to build different profiles for different times of the day!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2012, 07:59 AM

I lowered back to 160 then added curves adjustment because image looked to me duller I also looked at curves that suggested highlights can be pushed brightened and saved. I made image Nr.1-160cd/m2
Then I increased cd/m2 to 220 previous state image looks brighter no need of curves saved the image Nr.2-220cd/m2
Uploaded. Compared both on the laptop. Nr.1 looks looks brighter and OK Nr2. looks duller.
Multiprofiler just works fine. A few things I can do on it including cd/m2 altering. Here is a screenshot of MP in action.
Edit: I hope this little experiment makes a sense if so my monitor at 220 cd/m2 is too much. Thanks Tony I will read a bit more later and let you know about some of the things you pointed in #25
one thing I can tell you and you can see on the screen shot that there is option called ambient light compensation. I am not sure how it does but for that reason there should be a some kind of sensor if so which communicates to MP software to make such an adjustments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg multiporfiler.JPG (40.8 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by nebulaoperator; 07-21-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2012, 09:09 AM
Patron

Tomas what you are doing in my opinion is totally meaningless and I genuinely believe you are being mislead by the numbers you are seeing without the benefit of a proper calibrator.

Even without knowing the software I believe that the MultiProfiler application sets the monitor to an internal setting but it assumes that the monitor is already set to that luminance value by your profiling and calibration. It does not measure the actual luminance of the monitor - how could it? Yes you can adjust brightness and black level and you do get a figure displayed but that is dependent on the monitor being calibrated first

Please try and go through the link I posted
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2012, 09:43 AM

Before you buy proper calibration device you can try this app:

http://www.bergdesign.com/supercal/

If you are on Mac …

Regards, Filip

-------------------------------------------------------
http://shotworldwide.com & http://photoapps.info
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
Tomas what you are doing in my opinion is totally meaningless and I genuinely believe you are being mislead by the numbers you are seeing without the benefit of a proper calibrator.

Even without knowing the software I believe that the MultiProfiler application sets the monitor to an internal setting but it assumes that the monitor is already set to that luminance value by your profiling and calibration. It does not measure the actual luminance of the monitor - how could it? Yes you can adjust brightness and black level and you do get a figure displayed but that is dependent on the monitor being calibrated first

Please try and go through the link I posted
It is actual brightness that MP can adjust. Ambient light sensor is used for the auto brightness function too. I confused it with luma after seeing it has cd/m2 values. Thanks Tony
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware