RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

NEC PA231W 23" or PA241W 24"

Old 07-26-2012, 08:10 AM

Re: NEC PA231W 23" or PA241W 24"

Hi Tony,

I do not print right now (but I will in the future) and I do my important color corrections during the night only (to completely avoid ambient light). I also calibrated my monitor in the night. As I am presenting my images on the web I wish to keep some standards to offer the best possible viewing experience. I understand that majority of people do not have they monitors properly calibrated but this situation is similar to the movie & TV industry where all movies and TV shows should be color corrected and checked on broadcast monitors - which are by the way unbelievable expensive. They understand (movie & TV industry professionals) that they are not able to match every TV screen in the world but they need to keep some standards.

Finally, I check my images during day just to be sure how they look viewed on the screen in the ambient light.

Regards, Filip

-------------------------------------------------------
http://shotworldwide.com & http://photoapps.info
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2012, 10:25 AM
Patron

Hi Filip, sounds to me that you have got a workable system and you are doing the best you can to ensure your standards are maintained.

I think the biggest problem as you identified and as mentioned by Andrew is once it leaves your carefully managed situation all is likely to fall apart.

Depending on your audience I would guess that most will not be viewing on a calibrated monitor or even be aware if they were viewing via a colour managed application.

I can only imagine as more buyers opt for wide gamut monitors that the situation will be worsened with images looking even further out than they did on the non wide gamut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2012, 10:38 AM

Hi Tony,

yes, I agree with Andrew that "Attempting to calibrate or match internet images is folly …" but what can we do? Everything is moving to mobile devices and tablets which are not color managed anyway - and I really do not understand why. I have one seven years old Packard Bell laptop with Ubuntu installed and I can say that their basic monitor profile is very good. Perhaps this is just a "lucky accident" but if I compare this experience with Apple's yellowish tint straight from the factory …

Thats why I tried to compare our situation to the movie & TV industry. You need to do your best and wait what is going to happen …

Regards, Filip

-------------------------------------------------------
http://shotworldwide.com & http://photoapps.info
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post

In the case of matching print to screen this will depend on several factors including his ambient viewing conditions. When he does establish his luminence value to get the closest match to predict print to screen then these will only apply to the conditions that were present at that time. Therefore accuracy will be reduced should any of the viewing conditions alter or monitor luminance change (all bets are off!) until such time as the effects of the changes are accounted for.
I don't actually have much to add this time. If his ambient lighting changes quite a lot, he could always turn off ambient lighting, close windows, etc. to make a final check. There's no way to get it completely consistent in terms of accounting for ambient changes between their influence on the perception of brightness and color temperature if there's a lot of ambient lighting (even light bulbs shift over time). That's why I wouldn't bother trying to set it to adjust automatically to ambient brightness. It's easier and probably more consistent to bring the light down when making final judgments. My other point was that having a display profile that doesn't describe the hardware properly can lead to a number of headaches.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2012, 11:16 AM
Patron

I think that if Tomas comes back to this thread that he will tell you that currently he has achieved a satisfactory setting for luminance with visual calibration so far i.e. one that when viewed on another calibrated monitor via a color managed web application appears acceptable.

He has no reliable way of quoting actual values until such time as he acquires a calibration instrument. And of course no control how others view his images on the web
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2012, 11:49 AM

hey tomas, I was wondering where you got your NEC PA241W from, I was waiting for the release of the new P232W but upon reading the specs I realised it will not be wide gamut, and it is not out until the end of august.
I need to replace my defect HP LP2475W, so I might have to bite the bullet for the NEC one.

cheers
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware