Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

How necessary is a wide gamut display?

Old 08-01-2012, 04:38 AM
How necessary is a wide gamut display?

I am looking for a new display to replace my current one, I am one of those unlucky few that got on the bad side of HP LP2475W with its infamous hue cast on both sides of the screen.... 2 HP displays down the line, both with same problem.

Time to move on... I am looking at a the next available one to match the quality of the HP LP2475W (minus the hue issue ) budget is £450 but might consider to stretch it

The NEC ones caught my eyes. but they are very expensive, especially in UK... They have a new P232W display coming out that should hit the shops at £500-ish mark which makes it very attractive, but I notice that is not a wide gamut monitor, which leaves the P241W as the next available alternative (I know fellow retoucher Nebulaoperator has chosen this one and has great thread about the image quality of it)

My question is... is wide gamut, extremely necessary?

I am a photographer, and my main goal is to shoot. I do however retouch a lot of my own photos.

I shoot portrait and fashion, and part of it ends in magazines as well as prints /catalogues, etc...

Every penny saved with computer equipment would be spend in photo gear... does that "cutting corners" makes sense to you guys? or I am only looking for excuses and unfortunately I have chosen an extremely expensive career and I have to keep calm and carry on!

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2012, 07:38 AM
Re: How necessary is a wide gamut display?

A wide gamut display is quite useful for soft proofing your images who’s gamut will nearly always exceed sRGB. Plus the better such units allow you to also drive them in an sRGB simulation mode so non ICC aware products (most web browsers) will not look off when viewing content. And never, ever cut corners on a display! A bit less RAM, a slightly smaller hard drive will not affect how you edit your images. The display is the sole device that allows you to see and control your images before print. Prints are expensive. Prints may not provide all the information about the digital data. The display is one element of your digital darkroom that will likely last longer than most other components and is a vital piece of equipment.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2012, 08:08 AM
Re: How necessary is a wide gamut display?

thanks for the input andrew!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware