RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Add an SSD Cache to speed up Photoshop

Old 08-10-2012, 10:51 AM
Janitor

Add an SSD Cache to speed up Photoshop

For under $100 you can quadruple the speed of even old computers. According to reviews, it's virtually the same as running off and SSD, only you can add it to your existing PC in a few minutes.

Requires Windows 7. I like the OCZ version better due to the 2x redundancy.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-syn...i-2-5-ssd.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2012, 07:57 PM
Janitor

Re: Add an SSD Cache to speed up Photoshop

I just ordered mine. It should arrive Wednesday.

The idea is not to use it as a Photoshop cache or as an extra SSD drive, but as a hidden cache for your primary drive (usually C, whichever drive your OS resides on).

After accessing a file 3 or 4 times it gets copied to the cache and accessed there from that point forward. So it speeds up the OS and all apps (assuming they're installed on the boot drive).

The redundancy is because SSD drives deteriorate slowly over time, so it uses the extra space to swap out the space that is no longer usable for fresh memory.

I had to reboot my machine 7 times in a row a few days ago. That's when I made up my mind to give this a try. My current boot takes a couple of minutes, this is supposed to reduce that to a few seconds. There are youtube vids showing the difference for Photoshop with it opening literally instantly instead of taking the 5-10 seconds it currently does (at least on my machine).

Not a huge difference, but worth the $80 if it works, and an interesting afternoon or two even if it doesn't.

Since it's a copy instead of moving files the original files are totally safe and accessible in case the cache drive malfunctions or needs to be removed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2012, 05:42 AM

I'm in too Doug. I was wary of ordering a new system because of the back up problem/dilemma (there's always migration headaches, no matter how prepared). This does seem like an excellent solution, allowing me to keep the old drive and just bolster the performance with this.

Please let us know how this pans out for you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2012, 10:24 AM
Janitor

This should be fun to compare "improvements".

For anyone else that wants to play along, be aware that you need a SATA3 or SATA2 computer (pretty much any PC made in the last few years, but check first) and Windows 7.

I'm taking a leap of faith that Windows 8 will be supported this fall when it comes out.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2012, 05:11 PM
Janitor

Ok, it arrived early and I have it installed. Here are my initial thoughts:

1. It did not come with a SATA data cable, so I stole the cable off my DVD drive and ordered a replacement online (a couple of bucks online, $20 in the store).
2. You MUST write down the Dataplex key before you install the drive. That's a good time to record the drive serial number, too. You'll need them both occasionally over the upcoming couple of years, and installing hides them. Keep the numbers in a place you'll remember and won't lose.
3. I'd say my program load time has probably been cut in half, but not the 4x+ I was hoping for. From hitting Restart to being fully rebooted and ready to work used to take 3 minutes for me (with some utils loading), and now it's 1:20. Photoshop used to take about 10 seconds, now it's about 3.
4. The only technical problem I had during the install was when I installed the data cable it pulled the power plug out of my primary HD a little (the 2 plugs are connected on my machine, with little room for play). So on initial boot I got a "no bootable disk found" error. Reseating the plugs fixed everything.

Last edited by Doug Nelson; 08-25-2012 at 04:30 PM. Reason: "data" and "power" reversed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2012, 05:57 AM

I am currently searching for a good price in the UK (online) and researching if I should go 128gig or 64gig version. Will also have to check the innards of the computer to make sure it will fit.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2012, 03:18 PM
Janitor

Wow, I ordered a replacement cable, and got exactly what I ordered, but it was the wrong one. I didn't know the SATA power cable was the big one and the data cable was the small one.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2012, 07:23 PM

They never saw you coming!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2012, 03:44 PM

Hello Doug,

I am intrested in this product if you don't mind me asking are you
running Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2012, 04:28 PM
Janitor

I'm running 64bit, but I doubt it matters for this particular gizmo. It has drivers for both and selects automatically on install.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware